Transferring Office 2021 license to another laptop

AW 0 Reputation points
2026-09-08T14:27:58.4366667+00:00

My old laptop is irrecoverable. It is now a brick. I want to transfer my Office 2021 license to my new laptop but keep getting an invalid activation key error. When I tried to activate the software over the phone, I keep getting directed to the website and never get any further.

I've already removed my old device frrom my account so I am totally stumped.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-20T18:45:29.61+00:00

    I have Microsoft Office Home & Business 2021. I was under the impression that the license could be transferred to a new device if the old one is dead.

    You should be able to install Office on your new PC using your associated account at https://account.microsoft.com/services .

    If you run into activation issues, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/activate-microsoft-perpetual-products-using-the-product-activation-portal .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. DaveM121 936.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-08T15:01:30.61+00:00

    When you first activated Office that licence should have become associated to your Microsoft Account as a digital licence online, you can no longer use the product key to activate Office and it is from your account online that you can re-install Office without the need for a product key:

    https://account.microsoft.com/services/

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.