Sole Global Admin locked out: SMS OTP failing (Error 399287) and completely trapped in the AI phone support loop.

Endrence Leternet 0 Reputation points
2026-08-22T16:47:55.15+00:00

Hey everyone. I'm honestly at my wit's end and just exhausted fighting with this system. I'm hoping someone here has a backdoor or a magic phrase to bypass this support void.

I am the sole Global Admin for my tenant. I have my password. Unfortunately, I lost the device with my Microsoft Authenticator app on it.

I thought it wouldn't be a big deal because I still have access to the exact registered mobile number on the account. But when I try to verify via SMS, the system doesn't even attempt to send a text. It just immediately throws this error:

Error Code: 399287 Request Id: [Moderator note: personal identifiable Information removed] Correlation Id: [Moderator note: personal identifiable Information removed] Timestamp: 2026-08-22T03:33:27Z

Since I can't log in, I can't open a ticket in the admin center.

I managed to get a hold of generic live chat, and they told me to email @microsoftsupport.com. I sent them a highly detailed email with all the correlation IDs and domain info 7 days ago. Absolute crickets. Not a single reply.

I've searched older Reddit and forum threads where people say you have to call the US support numbers and navigate the IVR to reach the Data Protection Team. I've tried. The current phone system is just an AI wall. It doesn't understand context, it doesn't listen to requests for Data Protection, and no matter what I say, it just texts me a link to aka.ms/prosupport (which requires me to log in—the exact thing I can't do) and hangs up on me.

For context, I had a similar lockout happen once with Google Workspace, and a human had me verified and unlocked in 3 days. With Microsoft, I can't even get a human to acknowledge I exist.

I am the business owner. I control the DNS registrar and can easily pass a TXT record challenge. I literally hold the phone number registered to the admin account.

How do I actually get a human from the Data Protection Team to look at this and reset my MFA methods? Is there a specific prompt for the phone AI that actually works in 2026?

Any help is massively appreciated. I'm just so burnt out trying to fix this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ryan-N 16,005 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-08-22T17:45:41.8066667+00:00

    Hi Endrence,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    I am very sorry to hear about your experience.

    To make your phone call more effective, you can follow the instructions below:

    1. When calling the support number, you may hear an introductory message that lasts about 30 seconds (for example, "You can visit the link..."). You can skip this part and wait until the system presents the available support options.
    2. Then:
      • Press 1 > For business email users.
        • Press 1 again > Select Technical Support.

    Below are some sample answers that you can prepare in advance:

    • What kind of problem are you experiencing? Answer: Authenticator
    • What products do you use? Answer: Office 365 for Business
    • Is this for an education or company account? Answer: For companies
    • Are you an administrator? Answer: Yes
    • Are there any other administrators in your organization? Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant.
    • Do you need a service request? Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.

    If you have already followed the instructions above but have not achieved the desired result, you may try the following workaround:

    You can create a Microsoft 365 trial tenant and use that tenant to submit a support request through the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. Once the support request has been submitted, a Microsoft support engineer will contact you directly and assist with the tenant recovery process.

    After submitting the support request, please remember to disable automatic renewal for the trial subscription to avoid any unexpected charges.

    This approach may help you bypass the automated phone support system. Once your support request has been received and assigned to a support engineer, the engineer will typically reach out to you proactively.

    Please use the link below to create a trial tenant:

    Next, follow the instructions below to create a support request:

    Finally, follow the instructions below to disable automatic renewal for your trial subscription:

    I hope this information is helpful. Please follow these steps and let me know if it works for you. If not, we can work together to resolve this.   

    Thank you for your patience and your understanding. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.

    I look forward to continuing the conversation.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Endrence Leternet 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-17T10:36:56.85+00:00

    Hello @Ryan-N ,

    Please be informed that I have attempted to contact the Microsoft support lines in the US and Mexico. First of all, no matter what level I speak to, pressing one does not help. It is very difficult to make the AI there understand what I actually want or how I want it. I tried to say it exactly as you suggested, but I say one thing and the AI understands another.

    On the other hand, I tried the second option, where I took the Microsoft 365 Business Premium with Copilot license on a different tenant—as a trial, of course. Even there, after a lot of struggle, I somehow managed to get it today. This is because sometimes my card was not being accepted, or due to various bugs and problems, the product page would not even load. After much investigation, I found out that this is not actually an issue with my site, but a bug. I have been able to take the trial at this stage and have also opened a support ticket. I will definitely share any updates on this in this thread so that others can benefit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.