I was a way so sorry about the late reply, Tony, and I think my wording was a bit confusing. Sorry about that too.
When I mentioned disconnecting the external drive, I was talking about unlinking the Buffalo LinkStation. However, since setting it up again might be a complicated process for you, please do not worry about that. About the drive, I meant try testing the BU on the same location with the PC2. But if they're only on different folders, that's fine.
The good news is that your recent testing gave us another useful clue: the new Microsoft user account on PC 1 successfully backed up files to a USB drive, which didn't happen on your normal account (as you previously tested). That suggests the problem appears to be something specific to your original user profile on PC 1.
I would not spend more time trying to get the new account connected to the network drive yet, since it might be troublesome for you. We now need to find what is different between the working account/PC2 and the original account. Were there any updates or new applications installed around the time issue first appeared?
At this point, we kind of exhausted all troubleshooting too, so if you're interested, you can try to perform a reinstallation repair (keeping files and apps) to attempt to fix Windows problems (if any). Since another profile worked, this might make a difference:
- Use built-in repair option
- Open Settings > System > Recovery > Fix problems using Windows Update
- Click Reinstall now > follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Windows.
- Or you can try an in-place upgrade:
Disclaimer: Both Windows reinstallation and in-place upgrade will refresh your Windows files and operating system without removing files or applications. That being said, we always recommend that if you have important data, you should back it up first before making large system changes.
One of the possible solutions for this is to setup the new profile and if the BU works, move there completely. But that also mean reconfigure everything, which might be a hassle for you. So if you want to preserve and repair the original profile, I think this is the time to contact Microsoft Support for deeper profile-level diagnostics:
- Visit Contact Us - Microsoft Support > Sign in
- Type in your problem > click Get Help to make request
- Scroll down and click Contact Support to connect to an agent
- Select category and continue > you should be added to a chat queue.
- If you don't see chat option, go through another category (e.g. Billings...)
Note: The support contact team only works at certain times, so if the last window shows that it's unavailable, try opening it again the next day. If you prefer phone support, you can leave a phone number. This way, they can call you and help you.
I wish I could come up with more things, but we actually tested almost everything. The Support team might be able to do a remote session or use high-level diagnostic tools to analyze what's going on.