Speakers and microphone stopped working/ Fixed! had to uninstall drivers and reinstall

Tracey Chamberlain 20 Reputation points
2026-06-23T12:50:23.63+00:00

Started my computer today and can not access my microphone or speakers

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Lester Bernard Reyes 85,420 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-23T13:26:11.8366667+00:00

Hi, I'm Bernard. I'm happy to help!

Do you see an X mark on your audio icon? Have you tried checking the audio output of the PC?

Go to Settings > System > Sounds

Under "Choose where to play sound" make sure you choose the correct speakers

Under "Choose a device for speaking or recording" make sure you choose the correct Microphone

Note: If the issue persists, I'd appreciate it if you could provide a screenshot of the audio driver in Device Manager:

-Press the Windows key + X

-Go to Device Manager

-Expand the Sound, video and game controller

-Look for Realtek (R) Audio or High Definition audio

Then provide a screenshot.

Note: This is a public forum. I may respond shortly, but I apologize in advance for any delays. I am simply a fellow user trying to provide helpful insights and information.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

2 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Horace Wiggins 535 Reputation points
    2026-06-23T13:05:51.5466667+00:00

    Have you already looked at Settings>System>Sound? Have you performed a reboot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Lester Bernard Reyes 85,420 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-23T13:34:49.62+00:00

    Perfect! And I'm glad it is now all good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.