Cannot install KB5066791 or KB5042320

Margot Hummer 80 Reputation points
2026-06-19T13:48:59.81+00:00

On windows update it tells me You're not up to date. In red letters, "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." I have reloaded Windows 10 and the problem still exists.

I have windows 10 Home

10.0.19045 Build 19045

I have ESU and I've tried several things recommended and nothing has worked. How do I get things up to date and get rid if this red error message?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-19T17:35:49.3233333+00:00

Please try this link. It works fine here.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/a/12426465

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-19T17:30:57.9533333+00:00

The only fix you need is here. Please see accepted answer in the thread below:

device missing important security and quality issues - Microsoft Q&A

That should resolve the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes" misleading error.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-06-19T16:41:39.2366667+00:00

The only fix you need is here. Please see accepted answer in the thread below:

device missing important security and quality issues - Microsoft Q&A

That should resolve the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes" misleading error.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

5 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-06-19T17:10:19.2566667+00:00

    Hi Margot,

    Your system is already up-to-date.

    Have you checked my earlier post? See link below.

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/a/12836127

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.