Is it possible to recover lost website passwords?

HarryHopkinson-7618 20 Reputation points
2026-06-18T20:35:45.8033333+00:00

I'm hoping this has a positive outcome. I must have had a really big brain fart this morning because I don't know how I did what I did. Or I don't know what happened. Somehow I've lost a lot of my passwords that I use to access accounts / websites I go to on a regular basis. I looked high and low on the web with no real concrete answers. If I had lost my Windows password there are quite a few sites with various solutions. But I couldn't find an answer for lost website passwords. So, my question is "Is it possible to recover lost website passwords?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Bulldog 4,650 Reputation points
2026-06-18T21:38:16.5233333+00:00

Do you sync your passwords to your cloud account (e.g., Microsoft account, Google account)? If you don't, then unless you backed up your passwords some other way, there's no way to recover them. But all is not lost.

Go to the sign-in page for each of those websites, where you'll almost always find a 'forgotten password?' link. Follow the instructions to choose a new password.

Suggestion for the future: Use a password manager. Many browsers have one, including Microsoft Edge, and if you sync your passwords to your cloud account you'll always have them. However, a third-party password manager will have more features and be even more secure.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.