Unable to recover or login to microsoft account after being compromised

Andy Baroz 20 Reputation points
2026-06-18T15:06:59.78+00:00

Last week my Microsoft account was hacked but I am unable to change the password or interact with the account in any meaningful way.

When attempting to login with any of my passkeys, it results in an error telling me "We couldn't use your device to verify your identity. Enter your password to sign in." But my password AND the recovery email have been changed. The recovery email has a strange domain "@dhotliena.com."

It seems that the domain email has also been changed to this weird address because every time I try to login with my email address it says my account does not exist which also voids my option of filling out a recovery support ticket.

My session on all my devices is still good which is how I'm able to attempt a login to the account.

This account has much of my sensitive information on it but it seems to be out of my hands at this point.

2026-06-18_175842

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Darhyl Amizola 50,055 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-18T16:39:02.4666667+00:00

Hey there! Nice to meet you!

I'm sorry you are experiencing this.

Based on your description, the hacker was able to remove the account's primary email address/security info and replace it with their own email address.

Since the security info has been replaced by the hacker, I'm afraid there is no other working method to recover the Microsoft account, and Microsoft Support cannot help either.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Darhyl

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.