Question about potential duplicate accounts and loss of OneDrive storage

Colin Boyle 20 Reputation points
2026-06-17T17:21:25.8333333+00:00

My Microsoft account has both Microsoft 365 Basic (purchased through Apple) and Microsoft 365 Business Standard. My personal OneDrive at onedrive.live.com shows 1 TB of storage, and the My Benefits page for Microsoft 365 Basic also says 1 TB. If I cancel the Apple-purchased Microsoft 365 Basic subscription, will my personal OneDrive storage remain at 1 TB or be reduced?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-06-17T23:48:19.79+00:00

Thanks for the additional information.

Since Microsoft 365 Basic includes 100 GB of OneDrive storage rather than 1 TB, the 1 TB storage you're seeing is likely being provided by a different entitlement, possibly your Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription.

Based on that, canceling the Apple-purchased Microsoft 365 Basic subscription may not affect your current 1 TB storage allocation. However, I cannot verify your account configuration from the community forum.

Before making any changes, I recommend reviewing your storage details here: https://onedrive.live.com/managestorage (Use another device or internet source if you still get any error message when loading the page)

Also, after canceling, check that your available OneDrive and Outlook storage still meets your needs before the subscription fully expires.

Since the Microsoft 365 Basic subscription was purchased through Apple, the cancellation must be managed through the Apple App Store subscription settings rather than through Microsoft. If you have questions about billing, refunds, or charges related to that subscription, Apple Support would be the appropriate support channel.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

4 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Colin Boyle 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-17T23:30:01.28+00:00

    The Business Standard subscription and the 365 Basic both use the same username (my personal email). However, it is unclear whether the onedrive is linked to the basic or the business standard account. Because the username is the same, when I right click on my initials in the circle on the upper right, it just lists that username. And when I click on "View account" in that popup box, it takes me to a Microsoft account page that lists both the 365 and the Business Standard subscription.

    When I go to OneDrive Manage Storage on the web, I get the "settings couldn't load" error message I referenced above.

    And under Subscriptions, both are listed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-17T23:18:54.29+00:00

    Thanks for the clarification.

    One thing stands out: Microsoft 365 Basic normally includes 100 GB of OneDrive storage, not 1 TB.

    Since your OneDrive shows 1 TB, that storage may be coming from a different subscription or entitlement.

    Could you confirm the exact names of the subscriptions listed under https://account.microsoft.com/services? A screenshot with any personal information removed would also help.

    Once the exact subscription names are confirmed, it should be easier to determine whether canceling the Apple subscription would affect your OneDrive storage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Colin Boyle 20 Reputation points
    2026-06-17T22:13:45.0933333+00:00

    Thanks. 1) When I try to sign into settings for OneDrive on the web, I get an error message that says "settings couldn't load -- refresh to try again. 2) When I sign into the Microsoft 365 admin center, I do not see a separate business OneDrive associated with the Business Standard subscription. Only the 365vBusiness Standard, nothing else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. John Jefferson Doyon 88,610 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-17T18:02:53.56+00:00

    Hi, I'm John! I will help you with this.

    To help narrow down the issue:

    1. Is the Microsoft 365 Business Standard subscription assigned to the same Microsoft account that you use for your personal OneDrive, or is it assigned to a separate work/business account?
    2. Also, when you sign in to OneDrive at https://onedrive.live.com are you using your personal Microsoft account or your business account?

    In general, the 1 TB personal OneDrive storage included with Microsoft 365 Basic is tied to that subscription. If the 1 TB shown in your personal OneDrive is coming from Microsoft 365 Basic, canceling the subscription could reduce your storage allowance after the subscription expires.

    However, if the storage is being provided through another active subscription or account, the outcome may be different.

    Could you confirm:

    1. Whether the Business Standard subscription is on the same account or a separate work account?
    2. What storage quota is shown at OneDrive Manage Storage?
    3. Which subscription appears under Services & Subscriptions https://account.microsoft.com/services?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.