Unable to join a Teams channel due to Microsoft Authenticator verification issue

Sean Bishop 20 Reputation points
2026-06-15T10:15:51.8466667+00:00

I have been requested to join a team channel as a personal user, but I am unable to complete the second stage of the verification process.

The system prompts me to approve the sign-in request via Microsoft Authenticator app; however, no approval notification appears on my device. I suspect my Microsoft account may still be linked to an Authenticator app that was installed on a previous work phone, which I no longer have access to.

To try and resolve the issue, I have reinstalled and reconfigured the Microsoft Authenticator app on my current phone, but the problem persists.

When I select "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now", the only alternative option presented is "Use a verification code." However, the system requests a 6-digit verification code, while the Authenticator app only provides an 8-digit one-time password code. As a result, I am unable to complete the verification process.

I have already contacted Microsoft Support, but they were unable to resolve the issue and advised me to post here for further assistance.

Any guidance on how to regain access or reset the authentication method would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2026-06-15T12:49:32.7133333+00:00

Hi @Sean Bishop, 

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum. 

Regarding that you can't log in to your account due to Microsoft Authenticator.  I’d like to ask a quick questions to better understand your situation and assist you effectively:      

Could you please clarify whether you are an end user or an admin?              

If you are an end user I would recommend you contact your account's Admin to reset your MFA settings through the Microsoft Entra Admin Center. Ask your administrator to follow these steps:                 

After you have been able to log in to the Microsoft admin center please follow these steps :                  

  1. Sign in to Microsoft Entra admin center with the admin account  
  2. Go to Users  
  3. Select the affected user account  
  4. Open Authentication methods  
  5. Revoke sessions  
  6. Select Require re‑register MFA  
  7. Save the changes                

Revoke MFA sessions and require re-register in the Microsoft Entra admin center                   

 User's image

You could provide your admin this article for a better view: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID |…              

If you’re unsure who the Global Admin is within your organization, you can find guidance on locating them here: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support.                      

Please note that forum moderators have no control over user accounts, especially when it comes to logging in to your account, resetting your password, changing your access, etc.                 

Thank you again for your time and understanding.           

I really appreciate your patience, and I’m here to help. Looking forward to your response!                       


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".                

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread     

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.