I am the only global administrator and I am locked out due to MFA. I need a Data Protection team escalation for tenant recovery.

Katie O’Connor 20 Reputation points
2026-06-02T14:32:36.7633333+00:00

I am the sole global administrator and cannot access Microsoft 365 due to MFA lockout. I have verified domain ownership and require immediate Data Protection escalation to restore admin access.

I have tried calling Microsoft support and it never helps, what do I do, can anyone help?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2026-06-02T15:41:43.8466667+00:00

Hi @Katie O’Connor,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the details of your issue.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing difficulties accessing your work account due to issues with the Microsoft Authenticator app.

To help move toward a resolution, please try the following steps:

Option 1: Contact Microsoft Data Protection Support by phone

I understand you have already attempted to contact Microsoft Support by phone and were unable to open a case through the IVR system. Please try the following option, and I sincerely hope it helps resolve the issue for you. 

As you're the only admin, in this situation, the Microsoft Data Protection Team has tools and processes in place to verify identity and regain access to administrator accounts. You can try reaching out to our Global Customer Service phone to raise a request for resetting your authentication method here: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support.

Please note that forum moderators do not have access to user account settings and cannot assist with logging in, resetting passwords, or changing access rights. While we do not have access to internal systems or administrative tools required to resolve account-specific or backend-related issues, we’ll continue doing our best to support you within the scope of our responsibilities.   

Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively:     

(When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)   

IVR: What kind of problem are you concerned about?   

You: Authenticator.   

A: What products do you use?   

You: Office 365 for business.

Verification: Education or company account?   

You: For companies

IVR: Are you an administrator?    

You: Yes.

IVR: Are there any other administrators in your organization?    

You: No.

IVR: Do you need a... Service request?    

You: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.

Option 2: Create a new tenant to submit a support ticket

If you cannot reach a live agent, there is still a workaround, you might consider registering for a new tenant by signing up for a trial subscription.

To set up a new tenant, please follow these steps:

Visit Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing | Microsoft 365. This would allow you to create a new tenant following the prompts provided. Once set up, you can access the admin console of the new tenant and submit a support ticket requesting to speak with the Data Protection team on behalf of your previous tenant.

Follow the guided setup process to create a new account for a new tenant.

Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket referencing your locked account without further issues.

In your ticket description, you'll need to clearly explain that you're trying to regain access to your previous Microsoft 365 tenant and need help from the Data Protection team. Here's a message you can use or adapt:

"Hello, I’m currently unable to access my previous Microsoft 365 tenant due to losing MFA access, which prevents me from receiving verification codes. I’m the global admin, but I’m locked out and unable to generate a QR code or bypass MFA.

I created this new tenant solely to request assistance. I kindly ask to be connected with the Data Protection team to verify my identity and help me recover access to the original tenant.

This is urgent, as I rely on Microsoft 365 for my work and have been unable to operate for several days. I’m available to provide any documentation or verification needed to support the recovery process."

Ticket Support: In the Microsoft 365 Admin Center > Support > Help & Support.

Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue is resolved, as this will help you avoid any accidental billing. You may prefer the following resource for detailed instructions: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn.

I truly hope this helps you regain access to your account quickly. Even though I can't directly intervene, directing you to the correct and specialized support is the most effective help I can provide from my position. 

Thank you for your kindness and contributions to the forum.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".        

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-06-02T14:33:02.7066667+00:00

    Because there is only one global administrator and no alternative MFA method, this is a tenant lockout scenario that must be handled by Microsoft’s Data Protection team. Community, moderators, and normal support channels cannot directly reset MFA or bypass verification.

    Use these steps to get to the correct team and request a tenant recovery/Data Protection escalation:

    1. Call Microsoft’s global support number
      • Use the regional phone number listed under Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support:
      • If prompted by an IVR (automated system), clearly state:
        • Issue: “Authenticator” or “Multi-factor authentication”
        • Product: “Office 365 for business” or “Microsoft 365 for business”
        • Account type: “Company account” (not personal)
        • Role: “I am the administrator”
        • Other admins: “No, I am the only global administrator”
        • Request: “Yes, I need to create a service request and be transferred to the Microsoft 365 Data Protection team for tenant admin MFA reset / tenant recovery.”
    2. Be explicit that this is a tenant lockout and Data Protection case
      • Clearly tell the agent:
        • You are the only global administrator.
        • You know the password but cannot complete MFA because the registered method (Microsoft Authenticator on the old phone) is unavailable.
        • There is no other global admin who can reset MFA.
        • You need a Data Protection / Tenant Recovery escalation to:
          • Reset the MFA/credentials of the admin account, or
          • Restore access to the tenant.
      • The Data Protection team has specific tools and processes to verify identity and regain access when the only global admin is locked out.
    3. Prepare verification information The Data Protection team may ask for:
      • Proof of domain ownership (DNS, registrar records, etc.).
      • Business documentation matching the tenant’s organization name.
      • Tenant details: primary domain, admin UPN, subscription type, and any error messages.
    4. If frontline support routes incorrectly or says they “can’t help”
      • Call again and insist on:
        • Opening a service request for a tenant lockout / admin MFA reset.
        • Being transferred to the Microsoft 365 Data Protection team.
      • Use wording similar to the guidance from Microsoft Q&A moderators:
        • “I am the only global admin, locked out due to Authenticator MFA, and need Data Protection to reset my authentication methods and restore access to my tenant.”
    5. Optional fallback: create a temporary trial tenant to open a ticket If phone support in the region cannot correctly route the case, a workaround used in similar cases is:
      1. Sign up for a new Microsoft 365 trial tenant (separate from the locked tenant).
      2. Go to the Microsoft 365 admin center of this new tenant.
      3. Use Support → Help & support to open a ticket.
      4. In the ticket, clearly state:
        • This new tenant is only for contacting support.
        • The locked tenant name and domain.
        • That you are the sole global admin of the locked tenant and are MFA-locked out.
        • Request escalation to the Data Protection team for tenant recovery / admin MFA reset.
    6. If the tenant is associated with a partner/reseller
      • If a CSP or partner originally provided the subscription, ask the partner to:
        • Open a service request on your behalf with Microsoft, and
        • Explicitly request Data Protection for tenant lockout / admin MFA reset.

    Until the Data Protection team verifies identity and resets the admin’s credentials/MFA, there is no supported way to bypass MFA or regain access. Persistence in reaching the correct team (via phone or a support ticket from another tenant) is required in this scenario.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.