I want to move my domain's email to Exchange

John Christensen 20 Reputation points
2026-05-30T22:18:40.4+00:00

Hi All,

I have a domain and the email with that domain name is being handling by my cloud hosting service. But I would like to have it handled by an Exchange server.

I have a Microsoft 365 Family subscription but, the best I can tell, there's no way to direct my email to Exchange without upgrading to a Microsoft 365 Business subscription. Is this true? If so, it looks like I need the "Business Standard" plan because I need the desktop versions of the Office apps. But just for my wife and me that's $300.00 per year plus what I'm paying the hosting company (Ouch!)

Is the a cheaper way to go?

Thanks,

JCC

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-05-30T22:18:52.51+00:00

Microsoft 365 Family does not include Exchange Online or business-class custom-domain email, so it cannot host email for a custom domain. To move a domain’s email to Exchange in Microsoft 365, a business plan with Exchange Online is required.

From the available business plans in the context:

  • Microsoft 365 Business Basic provides business-class email (Exchange Online with a custom domain), Teams, and web/mobile versions of Office apps.
  • Microsoft 365 Apps for business provides only the Office apps (desktop) and OneDrive, but no Exchange email.

Because both Exchange email (for the custom domain) and desktop Office apps are needed, a plan equivalent to Microsoft 365 Business Standard (which combines Exchange email plus desktop apps) is required. The context does not show a cheaper supported combination that provides both Exchange-based custom-domain email and desktop Office apps for the same users.

If only Exchange-based email and Teams are required (no desktop apps), Microsoft 365 Business Basic would be the lower-cost option, but desktop apps would then need to be obtained separately.


References:

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.