No reply to account recovery form!

Mrs Webster 25 Reputation points
2026-05-18T11:04:43.3566667+00:00

Hi all. I have an on-going saga for my msn email. Microsoft seem to think I have tried to enter my password too often- I haven’t. Not sure it this down to bots spamming or my devices still been signed in and trying to get me to enter my passwords. In any event, I successfully managed to change my password (yippee!) only to go and sign in with my Xbox to being told I had tried to often to sign in (I had not tried. Not even once) so I was locked out again. I filled in the bloody form again today, however I am yet to have a reply and I’ve completed four forms- one was returned immediately as not being fit to pass- haven’t had a reply for the other three. Is that standard practice does anyone know?? Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Victor1-V 13,030 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-05-19T08:04:31.16+00:00

Hi Mrs Webster,

I understand how frustrating this is, especially when the account appears to unlock and then becomes restricted again. Since you have already submitted several recovery forms, the most important thing first is to check the alternate contact email you entered on the form, including the Junk or Spam folder, because recovery form results are normally sent there within 24 hours. Help with the Microsoft account recovery form - Microsoft Support

Please note that this is a user-to-user forum, so contributors here cannot access, review, or unlock Microsoft accounts directly.

If the account is showing as locked, Microsoft also says the normal unlock path is to try signing in at your Microsoft account page and request a security code. A phone number used for that code does not have to already be linked to the account, it only needs to be able to receive text messages. Microsoft account has been locked - Microsoft Support 

If you still do not receive a reply after that, or the account continues to lock again, you can contact Microsoft Support through live chat:

  1. Visit the Microsoft Support contact page: Contact - Microsoft Support    
  2. In the search bar provided on the page, type "Account Recovery" and press Enter.    
  3. Click on the "Get Help" button that appears.    
  4. Scroll down the page until you see and click on the "Contact Support" option.    
  5. When prompted to select your product or service, choose "Other Products".    
  6. For the category, choose "Manage Account Security".    
  7. Look for and click on "Chat with a support agent in your web browser".    
  8. When prompted, provide a valid contact email where Microsoft can reach you regarding your case.    
  9. Explain your situation clearly: Be concise but provide all the relevant details.      

It is also worth noting that if two step verification is enabled and you no longer have access to any of the verification methods, the standard recovery form will not work in that situation.

I hope this helps point you to the most appropriate next step.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.