Can I have help Deleting a duplicate User account of mine in my Home Windows 11 PC?

Jeff Davis 70 Reputation points
2026-05-17T17:08:39.8+00:00

Months ago I had help setting up a new User account for myself to fix some problems on my home Windows 11 PC. I'm finally wanting to get rid of that account since it makes my Disc Images bigger and I don't want to be keep backing the unnecessary stuff up. I'm now totally happy with my NEW User deal, but I can't figure out what to do about a few things that I see before I Delete the old one. I see them both in Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts. They're both set up a Administrator but my old one also shows my outlook.com email address under my User Name, which is my actual name & then it says Password Protected under that. The new one that I've been using for months doesn't show either. I can see how I can Delete the old User Account, but it seems like first I should get the new one setup with my outlook.com email address the same as the old one and add my outlook.com Password to it too.

I actually don't understand why it's not already there. Everything in my Outlook 2019 syncs perfectly with the live.com server for online access and with the Outlook for iOS on my iPhone. Also, all of my EDGE Favorites for both device's EDGE are available on both devices.

What should I do? I don't see anywhere to add this outlook.com email address on my NEW User Account. I only see where I can add a Password.

Here's what I see:

Control Panel User Accounts

If I click on Jeff Davis NEW, here's what I see. There's a link to add my Password, which is my outlook.com Password on the old login, but there's nowhere to add my outlook.com email address:

Control Panel Change Account

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 270.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-05-17T17:45:54.6266667+00:00

Hello

Please make sure you currently sign in the new Jeff account. Then go through the following steps:

  1. If you have data at the old username folder, go to C:\users\old username folder, find them and copy them into C:\users\new username folder.
  2. Type sysdm.cpl in the search on the taskbar and hit enter, go to Advanced tab, click on the "Settings" button at the User Profile section. Then delete the old user profile. Don't touch the default and public ones, or your current one.

3.. Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and hit enter. When launched, delete the old user (should be the one listed as email address)

  1. Restart the computer (don't skip)
  2. Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead. follow the steps and finish the rest. This is where you will sign into your outlook.com address. When promted for the "current Windows password" "one last time", that's when you enter your local user's password.

Restart the computer (Do Not skip)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.