I had an existing Azure Communication Service instance with two domains configured, each with several SMTP usernames. I deleted the resource group containing the ACS instance and all its resources, and then created a brand new ACS instance in a new resource group under the same subscription, with the same two domains.
When attempting to recreate the same SMTP usernames on the new ACS instance, I consistently receive a 409 Conflict error despite the username not existing anywhere:
RESPONSE 409: 409 Conflict
ERROR CODE: ResourcePut Failed
{
"error": {
"code": "ResourcePut Failed",
"message": "The username is not available."
}
}
Steps taken to investigate
- GET on the specific SMTP username resource returns 404 — the resource does not exist on the new ACS instance
- GET on the smtpUsernames collection on the new ACS instance returns an empty array
{ "value": [] }
- PUT with a username string that did NOT previously exist on the old ACS succeeds without issue
- PUT fails only for username strings that existed on the old ACS instance
- The Entra App Registrations used in the request are newly created — they are not the same ones used previously
- I have verified there are no remaining ACS resources in either subscription