Hey! I have lost my phone which has the authenticator app to my microsoft account. As I said early I have missed my phone so now I can't login my account in any device it is asking for a code to sign

Hariharan B 0 Reputation points
2026-03-17T06:47:52.76+00:00

Hey! I have lost my phone which has the authenticator app to my microsoft account. As I said early I have missed my phone so now I can't login my account in any device it is asking for a code to sign

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-17T06:48:09.7366667+00:00

    Follow these steps depending on what is still available for your account.

    1. If the phone with Authenticator is lost but other sign-in methods still work
    • Go to your Microsoft account Security → Advanced security options (sign in normally if possible).
    • Under Ways to prove who you are, find the Authenticator entry for the lost device (for example, “Send sign-in notification” with your old device name) and select Remove.
    • Add a new method with Add a new way to sign in or verify (for example, SMS, email, or Authenticator on your new phone) and complete verification.
    1. If only Authenticator was lost but you still know your password and have at least one other security method (email/SMS)
    • Start signing in to your Microsoft account.
    • When asked to approve with Authenticator, choose I don’t have my Microsoft Authenticator app or Use a different verification option.
    • Select SMS or email, complete the code verification, then:
      • Go to Advanced security options.
      • Add a new sign-in/verification method (new phone number, email, or Authenticator on your new device).
      • Remove the old Authenticator entry for the lost phone.
    1. If you know your password but have lost access to all security info (no Authenticator, no phone, no email)
    • Begin sign-in to your Microsoft account.
    • At the Verify your identity prompt, select I don't have any of these.
    • Follow the prompts to replace your security info.
    • After replacing security info, there is a 30‑day wait before full sign-in is allowed. During this period, if old security info becomes available again and is used, the update is cancelled.
    1. If you also no longer know your password and have no security info
    • Use the account recovery form:
      • Read the guidance at Help with the Microsoft account recovery form.
      • Submit the form via Recover account and provide as much accurate information as possible.
    1. If this is a work or school (Microsoft 365) account and you are locked out as the only admin
    • If you are the only administrator and cannot pass MFA, contact Microsoft support by phone and ask to be routed to the Data Protection team to reset your authentication methods. Be prepared to verify identity and tenant details.

    Important notes

    • Do not remove all security info at once; doing so can place the account in a 30‑day restricted state.
    • Support agents cannot send verification codes or directly change security info; recovery must go through the self-service flows or, for tenants with a single locked-out admin, through the Data Protection process.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.