Transfer Office account to New Microsoft Login email

HomeOffice 0 Reputation points
2026-03-16T19:27:30.6833333+00:00

I set up my new computer, but ran into issues setting up MicroSoft under my home office email so I used a gmail account. Unfortunately, I set up a newly purchased Office Home 2024 license under the gmail. Once it was completely set up, I noticed that I didn't have access to the onedrive folder which was under the other email I had been using previously, so I cleared everything out and re-set up the computer with the home office email I had been using (figured out my earlier issues). Now, I can't use the office products and have been super unsuccessful trying to work with Microsoft support to get it changed. Can I get my software license associated with my home office email instead of the gmail that I don't use? Please help....Sorry to be the slow people who doesn't understand the implications of some decisions.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-16T19:27:45+00:00

    The license association itself cannot be moved from one Microsoft account (the Gmail sign‑in) to another personal Microsoft account (the home office email), except in a very limited regional case.

    From the available information:

    • A one‑time purchase such as Office Home & Business, Office Home & Student, or Office Professional can be transferred only between devices, not freely between Microsoft accounts.
    • For Office 2021, 2019, or 2016, the license can be moved to another computer that belongs to the same person, but the license remains associated with the same Microsoft account used to redeem it.
    • The only supported account‑to‑account transfer mentioned is for users in the European Economic Area (EEA), and even then it is a special process to transfer the license to another person, not simply to another personal account of the same person.

    Key points from the documented policy:

    • “You can install a one-time purchase of Office such as Office Home & Business, Office Home & Student, or Office Professional Office on only 1 PC or Mac. However, you may transfer Office 2021, 2019, or 2016 to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). Any time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer and you may not retain any copies.”
    • “Important: For users in the European Economic Area (EEA), you can transfer your license to another person as permitted by applicable law, by contacting customer support… You’ll also need to provide an email for the person you’re transferring the license to. Upon verification, Microsoft will cancel your entitlement and will email the new licensee instructions for how to associate the license with their Microsoft account.”

    Based on this:

    1. The Office Home 2024 license redeemed on the Gmail‑based Microsoft account will remain tied to that account for managing the license.
    2. It can be installed on the new computer by signing into Office apps or the services page with the Gmail‑based Microsoft account, even if the Windows sign‑in or OneDrive sign‑in uses the home office email.
    3. If located in the EEA and the goal is to transfer the license to a completely different person, the documented path is to contact customer support as described. That process is not documented as a way to simply move the license between two personal accounts of the same person.

    To use Office on the new computer with the existing license:

    • Sign into Office with the Gmail‑based Microsoft account that owns the license when prompted for activation.
    • Continue to use the home office email for OneDrive and mail if desired; the Office license account and the OneDrive/email account do not have to be the same, but they will remain separate.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.