Big issues with Microsoft

Alun Bedding 0 Reputation points
2026-03-10T15:45:58.87+00:00

I am posting this because I want to see if others have faced anything similar.

I was locked out of my Microsoft 365 for Business Admin account. When I tried to log back in it asked for a code from my authenticator app. The authenticator app is also logged out and when I tried logging in it asked for the code from my authenticator app, which I was logged out from. The same with iphone and ipad apps.

I rang support and after four hours (yes 4) and after a chat bot cut me off many times, I got through to a real person. They gave me a case number and as I missed one call, I am waiting to hear back.

I tried using the odd .onmicrosoft.com email address and no luck. I also found I have duplicate .onmicrosoft.com emails.

To top it off, my business email is the back up for my personal family 365 account and whenever I try to log on it logs onto to my family email.

This so confusing and has now cost me time and money for my business.

Has anyone else had a similar experience. I find it so frustrating that there is no support email.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-03-10T15:46:18.8266667+00:00

    The lockout and looping back to Microsoft Authenticator is a known type of issue when:

    • The only MFA method registered is Microsoft Authenticator, and
    • The device/app is signed out, reset, or replaced, and
    • There is no second admin who can reset MFA.

    In this situation, normal self-service recovery (codes, alternate methods) often fails, and support has to involve the Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team to verify identity and reset MFA for the global admin.

    From similar cases:

    1. If there is another global admin in the tenant
      • That admin can sign in to the Azure portal → Microsoft Entra ID → Users → select the locked-out account → Authentication methods → Require re-register multifactor authentication.
      • After this, the locked-out admin signs in again and is prompted to set up MFA (Authenticator, phone, etc.) from scratch.
    2. If there is only one global admin (the locked-out account)
      • Frontline support must escalate to the Data Protection team. They have specific tools and processes to verify identity and reset access for the sole admin.
      • When calling the support number, clearly state that this is a tenant admin MFA lockout, that this is a business/Office 365 for business account, and that there is no other global admin.
      • In some regions the phone system is automated; responses like “Authenticator”, “Office 365 for business”, “company account”, “yes, I’m the administrator”, “no, there is no other administrator”, and “yes, I need a service request” help route to the right team.
    3. If support is hard to reach
      • One documented workaround is to create a temporary trial tenant (e.g., a Microsoft 365 Business/Enterprise trial), then use that new tenant’s admin center to open a support ticket.
      • In that ticket, specify that the problem is with a different existing tenant where the only global admin is locked out due to MFA/Authenticator and cannot open a ticket from that tenant.
      • Provide: the locked tenant’s domain, the admin UPN, error messages, and that MFA is stuck on Authenticator only.
    4. About verification codes and blocks
      • Repeated sign-in attempts and unusual activity can trigger temporary blocks or “try another verification method” messages. In those cases, guidance is to:
        • Try another verification method if available (alternate email/phone).
        • Try another network (switch Wi‑Fi/cellular).
        • Wait (up to 24 hours or longer) without repeated attempts, as repeated retries can reset the time lock.
    5. About the personal vs business account confusion
      • When a work account is used as backup for a personal Microsoft account, browsers often auto-sign in to one account and sign out of the other. To get codes from one while signing in to the other, use InPrivate/Incognito windows so both sessions can be open at once.

    Given the description (only admin, Authenticator-only MFA, business tenant), the practical path is:

    1. Continue with the existing support case and explicitly request escalation to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team for an admin MFA reset.
    2. If that stalls, use the trial-tenant method to open a new support ticket from an admin portal and again request Data Protection involvement.

    Once MFA is reset and access is restored, it is important to:

    • Add at least one more MFA method (phone, alternate email, security key).
    • Add a second global admin account so that one admin can recover the other in future.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.