Authenticator deleted Facebook for no reason

Hannah S Becker 0 Reputation points
2026-02-27T17:33:35.5366667+00:00

I set up 2-factor authentication for Facebook/Meta using Authenticator. For no reason it deleted Facebook from the list and I’ve been locked out of all Meta apps for months. I don’t think I had it backed up in the cloud. How can I get it back so I can log into my Meta apps? Trying to recover the account through Meta is also just not working (it won’t let me past a certain point even though I’ve added the correct document)

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-27T17:33:47.48+00:00

    Microsoft Authenticator cannot delete or recreate a Facebook/Meta account or its 2‑factor configuration on Meta’s side. When an Authenticator entry for a third‑party service (like Facebook) is removed and there is no cloud backup, the time‑based one‑time password (TOTP) secret that was originally scanned from Facebook is lost. That secret is what generates the 30‑second codes; without it, Authenticator cannot be “given back” the Facebook entry.

    Key points from the available information:

    • Third‑party accounts such as Facebook are stored in Authenticator as one‑time password (OTP) code entries that refresh every 30 seconds.
    • These OTP entries can be backed up and later restored, but only if cloud backup was enabled before the loss.
    • If backup was not enabled and the entry is deleted or the device is reset, the OTP secret cannot be recovered from Microsoft.
    • Recovery of access to Facebook/Meta in this situation must be done entirely through Meta’s own account‑recovery and identity‑verification flows; Microsoft has no control over Meta’s login, 2FA, or document‑review process.

    From the context provided, there is no supported Microsoft method to:

    • Restore a deleted Facebook OTP entry in Authenticator without a prior backup.
    • Bypass or fix Meta’s recovery process.

    The only available path is to continue working with Meta’s support and recovery options to regain access to the Facebook/Meta account, then re‑enable two‑factor authentication and add it again to Authenticator following Meta’s instructions.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.