In Microsoft 365, how to remove an invalid S/MIME configuration

Serge Caron 65 Reputation points
2026-02-27T14:17:33.1666667+00:00

I have a user in a tenant migrated from an On Premises Exchange 2016 that has invalid entries in his mailbox configuration.

How do I remove the certificates (UserSMimeCertificate, UserCertificate) in this mailbox.

For a healthy mailbox I have :

PS C:\Users\ThisUser> Connect-ExchangeOnline -ShowBanner:$false -ErrorAction Stop

PS C:\Users\ThisUser> Get-MailBox ThisUser | fl *user*

ExchangeUserAccountControl : None

UserPrincipalName : ******@thisdomain.tld

UserSMimeCertificate : {}

UserCertificate : {}

IsAgenticUser : False

UserIdentityParent :

I don't see an interface in Exchange 365 where I can remove the obsolete certificates in my target user.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-27T14:17:45.5833333+00:00

    Use Exchange PowerShell to clear those attributes; there is no GUI in Exchange Online for this.

    1. Connect to Exchange Online:
         Connect-ExchangeOnline -ShowBanner:$false
      
    2. To clear S/MIME certificates on a mailbox (UserSMimeCertificate / UserCertificate):
         Set-Mailbox -Identity "ThisUser" -UserSMimeCertificate $null -UserCertificate $null
      
      This sets both multi-valued properties to empty, matching the healthy mailbox output where they show as {}.
    3. If the object is a mail user (no mailbox, only mail-enabled user), use Set-MailUser instead:
         Set-MailUser -Identity "ThisUser" -UserSMimeCertificate $null -UserCertificate $null
      
    4. Verify the result:
         Get-Mailbox "ThisUser" | fl *user*
      
      or, for a mail user:
         Get-MailUser "ThisUser" | fl *user*
      
      The UserSMimeCertificate and UserCertificate fields should now be empty ({}).

    If there are related per-mailbox user configuration items that are corrupted (for example, S/MIME-related user configuration objects), they can be removed and will be recreated automatically when the feature is used again:

    Remove-MailboxUserConfiguration -Identity "<ConfigName>" -Mailbox "ThisUser"
    

    Use Get-MailboxUserConfiguration first (not shown in context) to discover the exact configuration names to remove.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.