Cannot Access My Microsoft Account Because Old Phone Number Is No Longer Available (Need Help With Account Reinstatement Form) Bot WC said: You will need to select a single hierarchical tag (Microsoft now uses a structured tag system). Use this: Microsoft

Erin Betley 0 Reputation points
2026-02-27T04:56:08.65+00:00

Cannot Access My Microsoft Account Because Old Phone Number Is No Longer Available (Need Help With Account Reinstatement Form)

Bot WC said: You will need to select a single hierarchical tag (Microsoft now uses a structured tag system). Use this: Microsoft account / Account management & recovery

Bot WC said:

You will need to select a single hierarchical tag (Microsoft now uses a structured tag system). Use this: Microsoft account / Account management & recovery

Bot WC said: Hello, I am trying to recover my Microsoft account but I can no longer access the phone number that was previously linked to it. Because of this, I cannot receive verification codes and cannot reset my security information. I am currently filling out the Microsoft Account Reinstatement / Recovery Form, but I am not sure how to provide the correct information to help prove ownership. I have already provided old passwords, the device I used to sign in with, and accurate details about how little the account was used (mainly for sign‑ins). I also explained that I did not engage in any harmful or suspicious activity and that the lock appears to be an automatic security trigger. My problem is that the system will not let me update my phone number until I regain access, and Microsoft support cannot manually change security information. I understand this is part of Microsoft’s security policy, but I am stuck because my only unavailable recovery option is the phone number. Could someone from the community please guide me on the best way to complete the reinstatement form successfully, or confirm whether there are any additional steps I should take to regain access to the account? Thank you.

Bot WC said:

Hello, I am trying to recover my Microsoft account but I can no longer access the phone number that was previously linked to it. Because of this, I cannot receive verification codes and cannot reset my security information. I am currently filling out the Microsoft Account Reinstatement / Recovery Form, but I am not sure how to provide the correct information to help prove ownership. I have already provided old passwords, the device I used to sign in with, and accurate details about how little the account was used (mainly for sign‑ins). I also explained that I did not engage in any harmful or suspicious activity and that the lock appears to be an automatic security trigger. My problem is that the system will not let me update my phone number until I regain access, and Microsoft support cannot manually change security information. I understand this is part of Microsoft’s security policy, but I am stuck because my only unavailable recovery option is the phone number. Could someone from the community please guide me on the best way to complete the reinstatement form successfully, or confirm whether there are any additional steps I should take to regain access to the account? Thank you.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-27T04:56:29.6133333+00:00

    For a Microsoft account where the old phone number is no longer available and verification codes cannot be received, recovery is only possible through the self‑service tools and the account recovery form. Support cannot override security info or manually change the phone number.

    To maximize the chance of success with the Microsoft account recovery / reinstatement form:

    1. Use the correct form and sign‑in helper
      • Start from the “I can’t sign in to my Microsoft account” page and use the Sign-in Helper tool to be routed to the correct recovery path for the account type and issue: Sign-in Helper tool.
      • If prompted to use the account recovery form, complete it as thoroughly as possible.
    2. Provide the strongest possible proof of ownership When filling out the recovery form, include as many of the following as are available (even if the account was used rarely):
      • All old passwords ever used on the account (already done, but include every variation remembered).
      • Devices and locations used to sign in (PC, phone, OS version if known, city/region, approximate dates of use).
      • Any aliases (other email addresses or phone numbers) that were ever associated with the account, as Microsoft accounts can have multiple aliases.
      • Details of any Microsoft services used with the account (for example, Outlook.com, OneDrive, Xbox, Windows sign‑in), even if usage was light.
      • Approximate date the account was created and approximate dates of last successful sign‑in.
      • Any billing‑related details if the account was ever used to purchase Microsoft products or subscriptions (last 4 digits of card, country/region, approximate purchase dates). Only include what the form explicitly asks for.
    3. Ensure the contact email on the form is working and monitored
      • The recovery result is sent to the working email address entered at the start of the form, not to the locked account.
      • Results are typically sent within 24 hours. If the request is approved, that email will contain instructions to sign back in.
    4. If the request is denied
      • It is allowed to submit the recovery form again, up to two times per day.
      • Before resubmitting, gather any additional details not included previously (extra passwords, more precise dates, more device/location info) and correct any possible mistakes in earlier submissions.
    5. When verification codes cannot be received
      • If no verification method (phone/email) listed on the account is accessible, there is no way for support to send codes by another channel or to bypass verification.
      • The guidance is to either:
        • Use a different verification method already on the account (another email or phone, if present), or
        • Wait until access to one of the listed methods is restored.
      • Support agents are explicitly not allowed to send verification codes, password reset links, or change security info on the account.
    6. After regaining access
      • Immediately add additional security info (another phone number and/or email address) so there is more than one recovery option in the future.
      • Review the guidance in How to help keep your Microsoft account safe and secure to strengthen security and make future recovery easier.

    If repeated, fully detailed recovery attempts continue to fail and no existing security info can be accessed, there are no additional escalation paths documented; the account cannot be recovered beyond what the self‑service tools allow.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.