I transferred my info to a new phone and I cannot set up the authenticator app

Trinity Property Solutions 0 Reputation points
2026-02-26T00:34:46.3866667+00:00

I switched phones and I tried signing in to my business email in outlook like I had it on my previous phone but I cannot get past the authenticator request. I am also not sure if I got locked out due to several unsuccessful attempts

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-26T00:35:02.7233333+00:00

    Follow these steps based on whether there is another way to sign in and whether there is an admin who can help.

    1. Try any alternative sign-in method
    • On the sign-in screen where Authenticator approval is requested, look for options like Use a different verification option, I don’t have my Microsoft Authenticator app, or I don’t have a code.
    • If SMS or email is configured for the account, choose that method and complete sign-in.
    • If verification codes are not arriving:
      • Avoid repeated requests; too many attempts can cause a temporary block where codes are not sent.
      • Check if the phone blocks texts from unknown numbers and that the number/email shown (masked) is correct.
      • If using email, check the junk folder for messages from @accountprotection.microsoft.com.
      • If a VOIP number was used, it will not work; only mobile numbers are supported.
    1. If still not getting codes
    • A temporary block or regional SMS issues may delay or prevent codes. These usually clear automatically after some time.
    • Once able to sign in using any working method, go to the Security info page for the work/school account and:
      • Add a new phone number or method.
      • Reconfigure Microsoft Authenticator on the new phone.
    1. If locked out and this is a business/organization account
    • If an organization admin is available:
      • Ask the admin to go to Microsoft Entra admin center → Users → All users → [your account] → Authentication methods → Require re-register multifactor authentication so MFA methods can be set up again on the new phone.
    • If there is no other admin and this is the only global admin account:
      • A tenant lockout requires Microsoft’s Data Protection team to restore access.
      • Call Microsoft Support using the regional customer service phone number and request a service ticket for Authenticator / Office 365 for business / company account / global admin locked out with MFA so the Data Protection team can verify identity and help regain access.
    1. If still signed in somewhere (e.g., on a computer)
    • While access is still available in a browser or desktop app, immediately:
      • Go to the account’s Security info page and add another MFA method (phone, email, or new Authenticator registration).
      • Remove the old phone/Auth­enticator entry so future prompts go only to the new device.

    If none of the above options are available and there is no other admin, only Microsoft Support (via a Data Protection case) can restore access to the business tenant.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.