Someone keeps trying to access my authenticator

Justen Villela 0 Reputation points
2026-02-22T15:45:15.57+00:00

I keep getting notifications that someone is trying to get a code to access my account on Windows.

It’s been happening for months now I don’t know what else to do. I’m worried they’re going to hack my account, but I can’t seem to stop them from sending requests. I’ve changed my password. I’ve done everything. What do I do?

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-22T15:47:23.88+00:00

    If you're receiving frequent notifications that someone is attempting to access your account through the Microsoft Authenticator, it's important to take immediate steps to secure your account. Here are some actions you can take:

    1. Review Security Information: Log into your Microsoft account and check your security settings. Make sure all listed phone numbers, email addresses, and authenticator apps are ones you recognize. Remove any that seem unfamiliar.
    2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): If you haven't done so already, enable 2FA on your account. This adds an additional layer of security by requiring a second verification method.
    3. Secure Your Devices: Run antivirus scans on all devices you use to access your account to ensure they are free from malware that could compromise your security.
    4. Change Your Password: Since you've already changed your password, consider doing it again with a strong, unique password that you haven't used before.
    5. Use Alternative Recovery Options: If prompted for 2FA and you don't have access to the listed methods, look for an option that states you don't have any of those methods. This may initiate a different recovery process.
    6. Contact Microsoft Support: If the issue continues, reach out to Microsoft Support. Explain your situation and your concerns about unauthorized access attempts. They can assist you further.
    7. Monitor Account Activity: Keep an eye on your account for any unauthorized changes or access attempts. If you regain access, check for any linked accounts or settings that may have been altered.

    By following these steps, you can help secure your account and mitigate the risk of unauthorized access attempts.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.