I can't login on my personal account, the authenticator app keeps giving me 8 digits instead of 6

Latomme, Glenn 0 Reputation points
2026-02-17T13:41:00.88+00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to login on my personal account but the authenticator app keeps giving me 8 digits instead of 6. I tried re-adding my account via the email method that sends you a code and via using my password but that always added a account that was somehow different (not giving me the notification or it uses the 6 vs 8 digits)

The login process has a link "to not use the authenticator app" but that just gives me 2 options to ... guess what .... use the authenticator app to login (great UX btw).

So I'm stuck on this login screen and I can't seem to find a way to get support besides this way using my companies account because you need to login to get support -.-

I tried all what I could find online to get me to login, however nothing worked so far, maybe via this way someone has found a way to get around this issues, or find help, I don't know what to do and I have some things on that account which I need.

Greetings Glenn.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-02-17T13:41:13.7466667+00:00

    It seems you are experiencing an issue with the Microsoft Authenticator app providing an 8-digit code instead of the expected 6-digit code. This can happen due to a few reasons, such as the app being out of sync or a misconfiguration of the account within the app.

    Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

    1. Check for Updates: Ensure that your Microsoft Authenticator app is updated to the latest version available in your app store.
    2. Re-add the Account: If you haven't done so already, try removing the account from the Authenticator app and then re-adding it. Make sure to use the correct method for adding the account, such as scanning a QR code or entering the setup key provided by the service you are trying to log into.
    3. Use Alternative Sign-in Methods: If the login process allows, try using an alternative sign-in method that does not require the Authenticator app. This could include using a recovery email or phone number if available.
    4. Contact Support: Since you mentioned that you are unable to access support without logging in, consider reaching out to Microsoft support through another method, such as their support website or via social media channels.

    If these steps do not resolve your issue, you may need to wait for a response from Microsoft support or consult their documentation for further assistance.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.