Is Edify Consulting Services or Edify Enterprises legitimate ?

Bev Johnson 40 Reputation points
2026-01-17T18:54:27.4566667+00:00

I had received a notification by email that I needed to update Microsoft (antivirus, or something like that. A phone number was listed to call so I called it. A guy answered and I told him what i needed to have done based on the email. He took information then referred me to a guy in their tech department. I now wonder if this was a complete scam. I gave them permission to go into my computer to check it. They said there were 22 suspicious connections confirmed and they proceeded to remove them. The price for the best deal for a 3-year plan was $399.99 payable by card or check. The thing that made me really suspicious is that they kept saying not to tell anyone about this, and when sending the check not to put anything in the memo line. They contacted me today to see if I had sent the check and then again said not to share this information with anyone, not to take it to Best Buy for servicing since they do this monthly from their end. I have not sent the money. Can you verify this as a scam and tell me how to really fix my laptop to remove whatever they did to it? I really feel like I was ignorant in this mess. Please advise. Thank you for your help.

Also, I checked and my subscription to Microsoft 365 was renewed on January 3, 2026.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-01-17T18:54:38.7166667+00:00

It sounds like you may have encountered a tech support scam. Legitimate companies, including Microsoft, do not contact users unsolicited to request personal information or to fix issues on their devices. Here are some key points to consider:

  1. Unsolicited Contact: Microsoft does not send unsolicited emails or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information. Any communication with Microsoft should be initiated by you.
  2. Fake Error Messages: Scammers often use fake error messages or notifications to trick users into calling a number. Microsoft error messages never include phone numbers.
  3. Pressure Tactics: The insistence on secrecy and not sharing information is a common tactic used by scammers to prevent victims from seeking help or verifying the legitimacy of the situation.
  4. Payment Requests: Asking for payment via check or credit card for services that are not needed is a red flag. Legitimate support services will not ask for payment in such a manner.

Since you have not sent any money, that is a positive step. To fix your laptop:

  • Uninstall any software that you may have been instructed to install by the scammers.
  • Run a full scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus to check for malware.
  • Reset your device to factory settings if you suspect any unauthorized changes were made.
  • Change your passwords for any accounts you accessed during this incident.
  • If you provided any financial information, contact your bank or credit card company for further advice.

It's important to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to Microsoft and your local authorities.

AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
Answer accepted by question author
Erland Sommarskog 137.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-01-17T19:27:51.6533333+00:00

That's a scam from start to end. Microsoft would never send you an email with a phone number if your antivirus was outdated. This is something you would be notified from Windows Action Center. Without email addresses of phone numbers.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.

    1 deleted comment

    Comments have been turned off. Learn more