Locked Out After Deleting Microsoft Authenticator – Unable to Access Account or Reset MFA

David V 30 Reputation points
2026-01-05T08:03:06.9533333+00:00

I’m locked out of my Microsoft account due to an MFA issue with the Microsoft Authenticator app.

I previously had Microsoft Authenticator set up for two-step verification. Because I got tired of constant approval prompts, I deleted the account/profile from the Authenticator app.

Now when I try to sign in, Microsoft still requires an Authenticator code/approval, but I no longer have access to that app entry. I cannot generate codes or approve sign-ins anymore.

I’m stuck in a loop where login is impossible because the MFA method I deleted is still being enforced.

This account is required for my job, and I currently cannot access my work schedule, which is becoming urgent.

User's imageUser's image

Moved from: Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2026-01-05T09:03:28.3266667+00:00

Hi @David V, 

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum. I’m truly sorry for the inconvenience you’ve encountered and I hope the guidance below will help you resolve this as smoothly as possible. Before we proceed, could you confirm whether you’re an end user or an administrator for your organization? 

1/If you’re an end user 

The quickest way to resolve this is to contact your organization’s IT administrator. Please kindly ask them to follow this guide to revoke existing MFA sessions and require re-registration: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID |…  User's image Once this process is complete, your previous sign-in sessions will be removed. The next time you log in, you’ll be prompted to set up new MFA methods, including reconfiguring the Authenticator app using a QR code. After that, you should be able to approve codes successfully and sign in without issues. 

2/If you are an administrator  

First, check if another admin in your organization can reset MFA for you using the steps above. If you are the only admin, you’ll need to contact Microsoft Support directly by phone: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support 

In this situation, the Microsoft Data Protection team has tools and processes in place to verify identity and regain access to administrator accounts.  

Please note that forum moderators have no control over user accounts, especially when it comes to logging in to your account, resetting your password, changing your access, etc 

Here are some tips and an example of a prompt to help you navigate the IVR more effectively:  

(When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)    

In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:      

  • What kind of problem are you experiencing?         
  • Answer: Authenticator         
  • What products do you use?         
  • Answer: Office 365 for business         
  • Is this for an education or company account?         
  • Answer: For companies         
  • Are you an administrator?         
  • Answer: Yes         
  • Are there any other administrators in your organization?         
  • Answer: No. I am the only admin in my tenant          
  • Do you need a... Service request?          
  • Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me direct to the Data Protection Teams.      

Even though I can’t intervene directly, I hope these steps help you take the right actions to regain access to your account. If you have any updates or additional details, please feel free to leave a comment, I’m always here to support you. 

Thank you for your time, and I truly hope this information makes the process easier for you. 


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment". 

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Karl 0 Reputation points
    2026-05-18T11:27:29.4633333+00:00

    Microsoft has become totally ignorant to customers. I am a business owner and the sole admin. I am locked out of my account after I deleted my Authenticator app - which was the only 2FA method. I call the (local) service number where I talk to a AI-bot that you cannot discuss with. I get a link to where to report tickets but to report you need to login (of course). So I cannot do anything with my account that I pay for each month. Then I was thinking - I'll cancel my account - well, than you need to login!?

    NOW I AM CALLING THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES TO HELP ME WITH THIS MATTER! A subscription you cannot end is a scam for sure!!!!! Microsofts's methods are those of a scammer.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.