Locked out of email while traveling overseas

Liam R 0 Reputation points
2025-12-01T05:43:40.7533333+00:00

Hello,

I was traveling around Thailand and then Europe for 1.5months with no issue using my email account. Once I got to Istanbul I was immediately locked out of my email and have been unable to recover it.

I have gone through the recovery forms, had a CDOC Case manager still to no avail. I have asked repeatedly to get in touch with a real human to try and resolve this. I cannot answer a lot of the questions about previous emails as I have forgotten, I know all of my email folders, the first 2 emails in my inbox were my travel insurance and thailand visitor application (both of which have my name and passport number in the documents) which I told the case manager that I can video call and show them my passport in real time, no luck getting a call. I sent pictures of my phones screen were the email I am trying to recover still shows in my outlook with all the emails until I was logged out still there but am unable to scroll through the emails until I log in again. I still have the ability to change my password, just always says too many attempts to login please use recovery and it won't let me use my cellphone number which is linked to the account.

Can anyone please help me get in touch with a real person to get this recovered? I have been trying for over a month and nothing is working.

Kind Regards,

[Moderator Note: Personal Info Removed]

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chloe-V 13,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-12-01T13:29:43.6233333+00:00

    Hi Liam R,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Q&A forum.

    I understand how inconvenient it is to have your account locked while traveling, and I will guide you through the most effective steps to regain access.

    1. Confirm the Account Lock Status

    • The message “Too many attempts” usually appears when the system detects multiple failed sign-in attempts or unusual activity. This is a temporary security measure.

    2. If You Are Still Locked: Use the Account Reinstatement Form

    • Go to Account Reinstatement Form.
    • Provide as much detail as possible.
    • Submit the form from a device and network you have previously used to sign in (this improves verification success).

    3. Contact Microsoft Support Directly

    • Visit Contact Microsoft Support.
    • Search for "Account Locked" in the search box.
    • Click "Get Help" and press Enter.
    • Navigate through the support options to find "Contact Support."
    • For product/service, select "Other Products."
    • For category, choose "Manage Account Security."
    • Look for and select "Chat with a support agent in your web browser" or a similar callback option.
    • Clearly explain your situation

    4. Tips to Improve Success

    • Pause sign-in attempts for 24 hours to allow the system to reset restrictions.
    • Turn off VPN/proxy and use a familiar or mobile network.
    • Prepare identity verification details for when requested.

    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.