Password not accepted after change

Robin V 0 Reputation points
2025-11-18T04:18:00.88+00:00

I recently bought a new phone after my old one died. Trying to log into my account, it asked me for my authenticator code. Since it was on my dead phone, I couldn't use it. I went to install it on my new phone, and it asked to log in by using the old auth again. I selected to use a different option, which was my phone number. After entering the code I got, it took me to a page to change my password. thinking this was mandatory for some reason, I changed my password. I then tried to use it to log in with it but it said it was the wrong pasword. After a few attempts I got locked out.

I managed to change it again in the same way, but same issue. I waited a day, then used the form to recover my account, since the phone method was now also blocked. I once again changed my password. This time I waited about 1,5 hours before trying the new password, but still said I had done too many attempts.
I have my password, I have my connected phone number, but can't log in. The support page suggests I HAVE to change my password to get access again, but would it suffice to just not try to log in for a while? I'm not sure what's left for me to try.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.