Can’t re-add Microsoft Authenticator after iPhone reset — stuck at Face ID/PIN/passkey verification

Andreas Michaelides 5 Reputation points
2025-11-01T09:06:39.24+00:00

Hi everyone,

I’m having an issue re-adding my Microsoft Authenticator app after resetting my iPhone and restoring it from an iTunes backup.

Here’s what happened:

I can still log in to my Outlook account on my Mac via the web (so I have access).

After resetting my iPhone, my Microsoft Authenticator app was wiped.

When I try to re-add my Outlook account in the Authenticator app, it asks me to verify using Face ID, PIN, or a passkey — but those options were tied to my previous Authenticator setup, so I can’t use them anymore.

I can receive security codes via my email addresses, but I’m not receiving SMS codes to my mobile number.

As a result, I can’t complete two-step verification or reconfigure the Authenticator app.

I need help regaining access or resetting my two-step verification methods so I can re-add the Authenticator on my new phone. I’m currently signed into my account on a trusted device (my Mac).

Can someone from Microsoft please advise how to reset or recover my Authenticator / 2FA setup?

Thank you in advance — this is quite urgent as I rely on this account for work.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.