Surface Laptop Studio 1 - Z X C V Esc Enter dont work - keyboard issues

Jan Šefl 5 Reputation points
2025-10-30T20:45:22.1366667+00:00

Hello, here we go again. I have another, already third issue with Surface Laptop Studio in 3 years <3 I was lucky enough that the first one was after one year of use and the laptop was replaced within a warranty. Second problem came like 2 months after warrant ended. Swollen battery that costed me around 300 eur in repairs if i remember correctly.

Now, my keyboard stoped working. Keys Z X C V Esc Enter, stopped working all of the sudden. As I found on another forums here, it seems like hardware malfunction again.

Can anyone help me solve the problem, if its even possible ( I wish ) ? Or does anyone have information on how much more do I need to spend to make my 3 000 Eur laptop work correctly at least one year in a row?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jan Šefl 5 Reputation points
    2025-11-02T13:38:57.5233333+00:00

    Hi Thomas,

    yes, I was told by the support it will be HW problem as we tried troubleshooting.

    Just to summarize, how this machine worked over 3,5 years of using. I would also like to mention that it was second highest spec for 2 800 eur.

    1. HW keyboard fault that lead to system exchange (laptop was unavailable for two weeks, I could not work on it)
    2. Grinding fan that rattled as if there was piece of plastic in it that lead to system reparation (another two weeks, I could not work on it)
    3. 5 months after warranty expired, battery got swollen (smelled like paint of chasis and was "bubbled") at 67 percent of capacity with 400 cycles even though Microsoft declared that it should be like 80 percent after 800 cycles. This exchange costed around 350 eur. ( Bottom case with battery exchanged - two weeks, I could not work on it)
    4. 3,5 years of using, keyboard stopped working, which is "very well know SLS HW issue". Microsoft offered me keyboard exchange for astonishing price of 820 eur, while "taking in consideration all of the laptops history", offered by Microsoft support assistant.

    That being said, I am very dissapointed with tho whole Microsofts approach to obviously faulty product, that was either very poorly manufactured or designed, or maybe combination of both.

    I also deeply regret every recommendation I previously gave about this laptop to my colleagues and friends working in similar industries. Not necessarily because of the device itself, as I acknowledge it might have been a defective unit, but mainly due to Microsoft’s overall policy and the way the company handles product issues and customer support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. Thomas4-N 22,295 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-11-02T10:18:59.0966667+00:00

    Hi Jan Šefl, welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

    I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Surface Laptop Studio keyboard. Here are some steps you can try:

    Step 1: Basic checks

    • Make sure Windows and Surface firmware are fully updated. Go to Settings > Windows Update and install all updates, including optional ones.
    • Run the Keyboard Troubleshooter under Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Keyboard.
    • Clean around the affected keys to rule out any debris.

    Step 2: Advanced diagnostics

    Step 3: If the issue persists

    • This type of failure usually points to a hardware problem. Contact Microsoft Support or an authorized service center for repair or replacement.
    • Out-of-warranty repairs may involve replacing the keyboard or top cover.

    Refer to these articles below for more details in getting service for your device:

    How to get service or repair for Surface - Microsoft Support

    Get service for your out of warranty or damaged Surface - Microsoft Support

    How much does out-of-warranty service cost for your Surface device or accessory? - Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.