Authenticator phone sign-in error

Klicic Haris 10 Reputation points
2025-10-25T09:59:16.1566667+00:00

I changed my phone and since then I’ve been unable to re-enable phone sign-in in the Microsoft Authenticator app.

I completely removed my old Authenticator configuration from both the old and the new phone, and started the setup process again from scratch.

When I try to enable Phone sign-in, I keep getting the same message:

“Phone sign-in will no longer work for this account. You’ll need to enable phone sign-in again.”

and another

"Your screen lock has been changed. Phone sign-in will not work for [your email]. You will need to enable phone sign-in again in your account."

I’ve checked my Microsoft account under Devices, but only my desktop computer appears — my phone does not show up as a registered device.

I tried reinstalling the Authenticator app, signing out and back into my Microsoft account, clearing cache and storage, and verifying screen lock setup, but the error persists.

It looks like my new phone isn’t registering correctly under my Microsoft account, so I can’t complete the passwordless sign-in setup.

Please help me fully reset or re-register my phone for passwordless/phone sign-in.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.