That's a great observation Ilias!
I have upvoted your solution so that others can see the fix you tried. Feel free to mark my answer as helpful/accepted, it might make it easier for others to find the solution too.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
SOLUTION: Disable "Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in"
So, there's this weird thing I've noticed: When powering on my PC and get past the DELL logo, the Windows sign in appears. Now, two things can happen:
Also, night light takes a bit to be enabled.
I also have the event viewer logs to see which apps cause startup delay.
Is this time format change and widgets delay and the corresponding slow log in normal?
That's a great observation Ilias!
I have upvoted your solution so that others can see the fix you tried. Feel free to mark my answer as helpful/accepted, it might make it easier for others to find the solution too.
I ran into a very similar symptom and eventually found a different root cause worth checking.
Symptoms in my case:
What finally identified it:
In Event Viewer, Winlogon showed authentication succeeded, but Winlogon event 12 / desktop release was delayed by about 168 seconds. Services diagnostics showed camsvc (Capability Access Manager Service) was requested at the same time and only reported fully running right before Winlogon resumed.
The actual culprit was:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\CapabilityAccessManager\CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal
That file had grown to about 58 GiB. After stopping camsvc, deleting only CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal and CapabilityAccessManager.db-shm — leaving the main CapabilityAccessManager.db file intact — and restarting camsvc, the next reboot was fixed.
Before:
After:
So for anyone with the “Windows accepts login but sits on spinning dots before desktop” symptom, especially if Wi-Fi/network only becomes usable after the desktop appears, check the size of:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\CapabilityAccessManager\CapabilityAccessManager.db-wal
Notes:
camsvc.CapabilityAccessManager.db alone unless you intentionally want Windows to rebuild that database.If anyone needs it, I can share the PowerShell helper I used. It runs elevated, creates a temporary SYSTEM scheduled task, stops camsvc, deletes only the .db-wal and .db-shm side files, restarts camsvc, logs everything, and removes the temporary task.
You won't believe what was the root cause: I had to disable "Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in"!!!
If you still notice something, you may submit a feedback via the feedback hub.
Based on my experience and observations, it's a yes.