Windows takes a long time logging in

Ilias Kslr 185 Reputation points
2025-10-23T20:03:11.5033333+00:00

SOLUTION: Disable "Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in"

So, there's this weird thing I've noticed: When powering on my PC and get past the DELL logo, the Windows sign in appears. Now, two things can happen:

  1. If I leave it untouched for a few seconds, the time format converts from 12 hour to 24 hour and the lock screen widgets appear (all this with a delay). Later, I hit enter, type my PIN and the log in happens instantly.
  2. f I hit enter before any of the stuff mentioned before happen, the log in is very slow and the spinning dots sometimes freeze.

Also, night light takes a bit to be enabled.

I also have the event viewer logs to see which apps cause startup delay.

Is this time format change and widgets delay and the corresponding slow log in normal?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Restee Miranda 14,105 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-10-27T21:34:30.0166667+00:00

That's a great observation Ilias!

I have upvoted your solution so that others can see the fix you tried. Feel free to mark my answer as helpful/accepted, it might make it easier for others to find the solution too.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

11 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Restee Miranda 14,105 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-27T19:09:35.89+00:00

    That's an NVME SSD you got there. Great speeds and specs.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Restee Miranda 14,105 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-27T18:57:21.8333333+00:00

    The loading time went a few seconds up, when I did a reset. My SSD is at 80% health. That could be a factor as well.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Restee Miranda 14,105 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-27T18:45:52.38+00:00

    Yes, especially on older hardware, Windows 10/11 has been installed for a year or longer, a dying SSD (due to low health).

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Restee Miranda 14,105 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-27T14:43:06.7+00:00

    It's the same on my computer. When the desktop loads there's a 3-5 second wait or sometimes lesser.

    Hoping that your machine works as you wanted to be.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.