Getting "Want to save your changes" in Word without my having made any changes

PurpleQ 135 Reputation points
2025-10-21T21:08:55.3566667+00:00

On 2 Windows 11 computers in the past few weeks, when closing a document in Word I've been getting "Want to save your changes" without my having made any changes. The Save pop-up appears if I've had the document open for 1 minute, but not for open times that are much less than one minute.

Various workarounds have been suggested for this problem over the past decade, but this problem has only recently showed up for me, and on 2 computers, so there may be a new problem created by an update. I've tried the workaround of going to File > Options > Advanced > General and verified that the box for "Prompt before saving Normal template" is not checked. I'm using version 2509 (Build 19231.20194 Click-to-Run).

Word offering to save is a problem for 2 reasons:

(1) If one choose Save when NO changes have been made, the file will now have a new save timestamp, which makes the content seem more recent than it is.

(2) If the prompt to save is ignored and there ARE changes, these will be lost.

The prompt is most useful if it alerts the user if and only if there are changes to be saved.

Are others finding this is starting to happen to them too? Are there workarounds to stop it?


Moderator note: Locking this thread after the original poster has indicated that the issue has been resolved in version 2506. See the Recommended Answer. Anyone who still sees the issue or later finds that it has returned, feel free to start a new thread (include a link to the current thread).

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For business | Windows

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer recommended by moderator
PurpleQ 135 Reputation points
2026-06-19T09:42:36.5166667+00:00

This problem seems to be fixed in Version 2605 (Build 20026.20168) on Windows 11 version 25H2 (Build 26200.8655).

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

14 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bob M 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-31T09:12:09.5633333+00:00

    I'm having the same problem on a Mac as well. I also use Windows on a laptop and have to work between both Mac and Windows versions. I use the last saved date to check the most unto date copy. Let's hope Microsoft solve this ASAP - after all we do pay an annual fee for the use of this!

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. Airhart, Marc G 0 Reputation points
    2026-01-15T15:40:29.86+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with Word on a MAC. Super annoying. I'd actually like the "last saved" date on the file to reflect when I actually made changes, not when I last opened it. This bug is super annoying!

    Was this answer helpful?

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Rambler 5 Reputation points
    2025-12-09T09:09:53.51+00:00

    No suggested fixes worked for me, only downgrading Office to an earlier version sorted for me.

    1. Disable automatic updates
    2. Execute in Admin terminal
      cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun"
      .\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.18925.20158

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments