Azure Free Trial - No permissions to create resources or upgrade to pay-as-you-go

B Boddie 0 Reputation points
2025-10-20T21:53:42.96+00:00

I'm currently using my personal Microsoft account with an active Azure Free Trial subscription. However, I've been unable to create new resources such as virtual networks or virtual machines.

Each time I try, I receive a permissions error stating: "The client has permission to perform action 'Microsoft.Resources/subscriptions/resourceGroups/write' on scope... but the current tenant is not authorized"

I've also attempted to upgrade my subscription to Pay-As-You-Go, but the portal displays an error that says I don't have permission ot make this change - even though my account is listed as the Subscription Owner in the Azure portal.

I also opened a support request via the Azure Portal but haven't received a response yet. I'd greatly appreciate any guidance or escalation to help resolve this - I'm using Azure for learning and lab purposes (Active Directory, Entra ID, and network configuration) and can't move forward until this is fixed.

Thank you for your time and assistance

Cost Management
Cost Management

A Microsoft offering that enables tracking of cloud usage and expenditures for Azure and other cloud providers.


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.