Microsoft Authenticator: Confusion Over Backup Notification Despite Same Device.

EnoScott-6247 165 Reputation points
2025-09-29T18:40:30.97+00:00

I sometimes see this notification (I notice it from the red dot in the top right corner), when I click on it, the first result I see is “Sign in to update your backup” clicking on it, it tells me “To restore your backup, you will need to use ******@outlook.it,” and below that I see the red text “Change account.” It then asks me to choose one of my stored Microsoft accounts, and when I do, it performs the backup, but then I notice something strange: Microsoft Authenticator displays a message that says: “A backup is already available in the account on another device. Replace the previous backup with the new backup?”

And below it shows the backup data: Account, device name, creation date, last update.

What is not clear to me is why it says that the saved backup is from another device if the device code (device name) is the same as my smartphone...

Does this happen to you too? Can you tell me why?

Microsoft Authenticator Version : 6.2509.6046

Smartphone model : Samsung Galaxy A52s 5g

Android Version : Android 14

One UI Version : 6.1

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.