Lost my Microsoft Authenticator application code due to phone change.

krishna mouli 0 Reputation points
2025-09-28T18:51:12.36+00:00

Hello Community,

A few months ago, I upgraded my iPhone. During the setup process, I used Apple’s Quick Start feature to transfer all my data to the new device. I assumed this would transfer my Microsoft Authenticator accounts and codes as well, which did not happen and my old iPhone was totally factory reset.

Unfortunately, I did not have cloud backup enabled in the Microsoft Authenticator app nor in the iCloud settings. As a result, none of my authentication codes, including one for my Rockstar Games account, were transferred to the new phone as they are not backed up in the cloud.

After reading some articles online, reference I now understand that Authenticator stores codes locally by default unless cloud backup is explicitly enabled. Given this situation that I did not enable iCloud saves for my Authenticator, I would like to know if there is any way at all to recover the lost codes.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to your guidance.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.