Samsung OneUI 7.0 update causes WORD to not open

Anonymous
2025-05-08T21:24:24+00:00

I recently got the Samsung One UI 7.0 upgrade. (It was forced.) Now WORD, EXCEL, and M365 Copilot will not open. There is a little flash when I try to open them, but no message or other visual. Samsung support has had me clear all cache on the phone, and do a settings reset. I have uninstalled, re-installed, and shut down my phone numerous times. Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | Other | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-14T20:25:40+00:00

    Hi Cindy,

    We have noticed that you have not replied to our last response. We would like to know if the issue you have raised to us is still on-going. If yes, please reply to the thread so we can continue troubleshooting your concern. 

    Thank you. 

    Regards,

    Chan G

    Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-15T18:46:21+00:00

    Thanks to all who have tried to help! I really appreciate it. I have spent hours trying different things, including what has been recommended, but WORD, EXCEL, and M365 Copilot still do not work. @Chan G: I was very hopeful when I saw your ideas and tried them right away; sorry for the late response. Please see below:

    1. Check App Permissions – Some users found that opening the Office Mobile App and manually allowing permissions helped Word, Excel, and other Microsoft apps start working again. Results: I do not have Office Mobile App, and it appears I can't get it. Someone else mentioned that it was replaced by M365 Copilot, which also does not open. (There is just a momentary flash when trying to open any Office apps.)
    2. Try a Different Version – If possible, install an older version of the apps from a trusted source or check if Samsung's Galaxy Store has a different version available. Results: I uninstalled all the Office apps and reinstalled them, and it did not fix it. I even did this multiple times, in case a fix had been posted or just trying to be lucky. I do not have an older version. The versions on my PC still work, but it didn't get the phone upgrade.
    3. Try to launch the applications on different device to isolate the problem. Results: Only my Samsung Galaxy S23 phone has this problem, and only it has the Samsung OneUI 7.0 upgrade.
    4. Use Office Web Apps – Until a fix is available, you can access Word, Excel, and Copilot via Microsoft 365 online in your browser. Results: I tried this, but I don't want to load some of my private WORD files into the cloud. I still worked with it, and in some cases there were errors when I tried to open even the template file at the site. Error message when at https://word.cloud.microsoft/ :

    Sorry, Microsoft Word Mobile Viewer

    ran into a problem opening this

    document in a browser. To view this

    document please open it in the desktop

    version of Microsoft Word compatible

    application.

    I don't want to overreact, but I will say that this experience really bothers me. I used WORD on my phone heavily and sometimes used EXCEL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-18T11:28:24+00:00

    I posted again yesterday but don't see it here.

    I discovered I had an old version of OneNote that was the culprit. Since I don't use it, I just deleted it. An update likely would have worked.

    Bottom line, based on the old Office Mobile app being the culprit for others and an old OneNote causing my problem, I suspect any old Office app can cause other Office apps to have problems after the recent Samsung upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-18T11:30:02+00:00

    See if you have an old version of OneNote or some other Office app. OneNote was the culprit for me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T17:26:04+00:00

    Hi Cindy,

    Thank you for your response.

    If you have an old version of OneNote you can just uninstall the OneNote app and download the latest version through the Googleplay store.

    Please let me know if you still need any assistance on this.

    Chan G

    Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments