OneNote "Search Notebooks" field covers the title and won't move

Anonymous
2025-05-15T05:04:16+00:00

In my OneNote the field box for "Search Notebooks" positioned itself over the title of the page and I can't move it.

I tried various Display settings and also reset the cache.

Anyone knows how to solve this ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-08T14:03:15+00:00

    In agreement with all of the other posts. One-Note "has been" my favorite note taking, workflow tool, for keeping organized. This change is horrendous. Please move it back or find a better place for it.

    I'll be dropping this tool from my daily routine and uninstalling it. Why keep this waste of space on my desktop!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-07-03T15:43:39+00:00

    In English, the page title is on the left, as you say, but the search box is not far enough out of the way on the right hand side. Either you remodel your design (e.g. don't put Search Box on the same horizontal plane as the spacing allocated to Page Title ), or you force your clients to limit all page titles to very short ones (currently a trial and error irritation). I think the latter would be very disappointing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-25T18:34:30+00:00

    I am a huge OneNote devotee. This is a ridiculous, horrible, and unwelcome "improvement". I rely heavily on OneNote pages, throughout my day, as a healthcare provider. I keep OneNote minimized to the L of my electronic medical record where I document each of my patient interactions. Unbelievably, I now have a floating search field I can't get rid of COVERING UP the names / chart ID of my patients that I add to the title of each page.

    This is NOT helpful! And all so "the community" can have more "real estate". Ridiculous! Per the above comment, exactly!: what genius thought that covering up part of our workspace / page titles is a good idea? So the solution is to expand OneNote and loose real estate ..... on my desktop?

    Please give us power users the option to turn off the floating search field. This is one of the dumbest changes I've ever seen in any software product.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-23T07:41:43+00:00

    Please change this back or give the option to use it as it was previously. I have wasted so much time this morning trying to put this back to how it was previously. I cannot understand the logic to this change. The Search box in OneNote is such a good feature and I use it to navigate around all the information I have held in Onenote and it is now in completely the wrong place. This is such and annoying, frustrating change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-20T22:43:32+00:00

    Please reverse this change. Pressing Ctrl + F brings up the box and moves the cursor to the box well. Having an existing function superimposed over the user's data, especially with no option to move or turn off the search box, is very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments