OneNote "Search Notebooks" field covers the title and won't move

Anonymous
2025-05-15T05:04:16+00:00

In my OneNote the field box for "Search Notebooks" positioned itself over the title of the page and I can't move it.

I tried various Display settings and also reset the cache.

Anyone knows how to solve this ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T15:47:21+00:00

    Please do NOT put "Search Notebooks" on same page as the Note! It is covering up all my long headings.

    What were you thinking putting in on the Note page??? I use the complete page and the "Search Notes" does not belong on the page!

    How do I move this now?? !! CRAZY MOVE PUT IT BACK WHERE IT WAS

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-20T19:14:01+00:00

    This change makes no sense to me, by moving it, it covers up the viewable area, and were there really people saying "OMG! the search box takes up so much space above the list of documents I cannot see them all." I barely ever have onenote full screen and I can see my list of notes with no issue. Or at least give the option to put it back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-20T13:11:02+00:00

    Same issue observed here, and it persists after trying the suggestions above. I use Normal View with Horizontal Tabs Layout and the Search Notebooks box used to sit above the Pages column at right, on the same row as Tabs. Now suddenly the Search Notebooks box is pinned over my pages content everywhere and the former location is empty. IMO the Search Notebooks box should be collocated with Tabs and Pages, not overlaying content within pages. Please put it back or provide ability for me to change the Search Notebooks box location on the layout. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T09:33:50+00:00

    Same issue here and as previous posters have already said, "why move it in the first place?" Its gone from being out of the way and where you'd expect it to be to sitting over the top of a page? If it aint broke, dont fix it......

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-20T08:17:12+00:00

    Hello,

    I don't use an RTL language, just English, but I usually keep my OneNote somewhat narrow. Unfortunately, this puts the "Search Notebooks" field over page titles.
    Changing the OneNote window size does resolve the issue, however, were the "Search Notebooks" window use to be worked quite well for me.

    Looking forward to an update that may give us the option of were that window will be.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments