Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully

Anonymous
2025-07-14T03:35:20+00:00

Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully


On 11-Jul-2025, after several attempts I managed to get the above update downloaded and installed in my Lenovo ThinkBook laptop.
However on 13-Jul-2025, when I restarted my laptop, this very update showed as available for download and install. So, I tried to do the download and install again. Since then I would have made 3 full attempts but every time it goes through the whole process of downloading and installing but at the end I get the error message that the Update Failed.

My PC is running very slow. Apps are not opening for long time (Not Responding) and really frustrating.

Is anyone facing the same problem? How to overcome this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-16T09:11:25+00:00

    I am having the same issue as well. It will not install this update. Please let me know an easy way to do this. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-07-16T02:59:31+00:00

    I got same issues to. How to fix that issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-16T02:31:19+00:00

    hi simon, welcome in community
    i’m Alvise, an independent consultant and I can understand your concern and, please, don't worry I am here to help you

    proceed in this way, press the WIN + X buttons and open terminal (admin), now type

    net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    

    after each command press enter

    if you want you can create a text file from notepad, save it as All files type and give it a .bat extension

    then run it as administrator

    after doing so, try again with the updates
    let me know how it goes
    Elvis

    I did this. Copied the text. Made the batch file. Ran it as Administrator. It failed. Tried it again. it hit 2% on the download and crashed.

    it does not accept any form of update for KB5062553.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-15T21:40:29+00:00

    hi simon, welcome in community
    i’m Alvise, an independent consultant and I can understand your concern and, please, don't worry I am here to help you

    proceed in this way, press the WIN + X buttons and open terminal (admin), now type

    net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    

    after each command press enter

    if you want you can create a text file from notepad, save it as All files type and give it a .bat extension

    then run it as administrator

    after doing so, try again with the updates
    let me know how it goes
    Elvis

    Please explain txt file and how/where to enter

    I can't touch type and loose my concentration when trying to

    How do those not or semi literate like me supposed to do this to update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-07-15T00:43:15+00:00

    PS C:\Users~> net stop bits

    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is stopping..

    The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was stopped successfully.

    PS C:\Users~> net stop wuauserv

    The Windows Update service is stopping..................................

    The Windows Update service could not be stopped.

    PS C:\Users~> net stop wuauserv

    The Windows Update service is stopping..........

    The Windows Update service could not be stopped.

    Hi Elvis, much appreciate your response. How should one proceed if the update services cannot be stopped?

    Thank you in advance.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments