Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
I get the same, i've done step by step but still will not install
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully
On 11-Jul-2025, after several attempts I managed to get the above update downloaded and installed in my Lenovo ThinkBook laptop.
However on 13-Jul-2025, when I restarted my laptop, this very update showed as available for download and install. So, I tried to do the download and install again. Since then I would have made 3 full attempts but every time it goes through the whole process of downloading and installing but at the end I get the error message that the Update Failed.
My PC is running very slow. Apps are not opening for long time (Not Responding) and really frustrating.
Is anyone facing the same problem? How to overcome this?
Processes in Microsoft 365 for setting up Office apps, redeeming product keys, and activating licenses.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I get the same, i've done step by step but still will not install
The same has happened to me. I still can't get this thing installed. I have tried what the AI chat bot said to do, and it fails to install. Additionally, I tried the steps on a different computer and it's the same thing. Now all my computers are getting Install error - 0x800f0983.
I get this:
PS C:\Users\biagi> net stop bits
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is stopping..
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was stopped successfully.
PS C:\Users\biagi> net stop wuauserv
The Windows Update service is stopping.
The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.
PS C:\Users\biagi> net stop cryptsvc
The Cryptographic Services service is stopping..
The Cryptographic Services service was stopped successfully.
PS C:\Users\biagi> ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
ren : Cannot rename because item at '%systemroot%\System32\Catroot2' does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Rename-Item], PSInvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemCommand
PS C:\Users\biagi> net start cryptsvc
The Cryptographic Services service is starting.
The Cryptographic Services service was started successfully.
PS C:\Users\biagi> del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
Remove-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/q'.
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Remove-Item], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand
PS C:\Users\biagi> del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
Remove-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/s'.
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Remove-Item], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand
PS C:\Users\biagi> net start bits
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is starting..
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was started successfully.
PS C:\Users\biagi> net start wuauserv
The Windows Update service is starting.
The Windows Update service was started successfully.
It still doesn't work and the fact that we even have to do this means that MS should pay our license fee back.
How is this even remotely acceptable for a large multinational running most of the worlds computers releasing updates that do not work and then requiring the users to do some coding to make it work? This is so classically MS. So busy trying to eat everyone else's lunch that it doesn't do its own core functions properly.
We pay an ongoing license fee for USABLE AND FUNCTIONAL software. Not a one off purchase fee anymore where MS can make excuses like "technology has moved on". We pay monthly/yearly now on an ongoing basis so the updates must be ON POINT AND WORK CONSISTENTLY.
I created the .bat and ran it, work perfectly. Thanks for the assist.