Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully

Anonymous
2025-07-14T03:35:20+00:00

Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully


On 11-Jul-2025, after several attempts I managed to get the above update downloaded and installed in my Lenovo ThinkBook laptop.
However on 13-Jul-2025, when I restarted my laptop, this very update showed as available for download and install. So, I tried to do the download and install again. Since then I would have made 3 full attempts but every time it goes through the whole process of downloading and installing but at the end I get the error message that the Update Failed.

My PC is running very slow. Apps are not opening for long time (Not Responding) and really frustrating.

Is anyone facing the same problem? How to overcome this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-07-14T22:52:30+00:00

    I get an error as the following:

    PS C:\Users\gijoe> ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroo2 oldcatroot

    ren : Cannot rename because item at '%systemroot%\System32\Catroo2' does not exist.

    At line:1 char:1

    • ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroo2 oldcatroot
    • 
          + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Rename-Item], PSInvalidOperationException 
      
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemCommand 
      
      

    PS C:\Users\gijoe> net start cryptsvc

    The requested service has already been started.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

    PS C:\Users\gijoe> del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

    Remove-Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '/q'.

    At line:1 char:1

    • del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    • 
          + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Remove-Item], ParameterBindingException 
      
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RemoveItemCommand
      

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Alvise C 56,036 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-07-14T06:22:26+00:00

    hi simon, welcome in community

    i’m Alvise, an independent consultant and I can understand your concern and, please, don't worry I am here to help you

    proceed in this way, press the WIN + X buttons and open terminal (admin), now type

    net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    net start cryptsvc
    del /f /q %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    

    after each command press enter

    if you want you can create a text file from notepad, save it as All files type and give it a .bat extension

    then run it as administrator

    after doing so, try again with the updates

    let me know how it goes

    Elvis

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments