Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully

Anonymous
2025-07-14T03:35:20+00:00

Why is Windows Update "2025-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553)" continuously failing to update successfully


On 11-Jul-2025, after several attempts I managed to get the above update downloaded and installed in my Lenovo ThinkBook laptop.
However on 13-Jul-2025, when I restarted my laptop, this very update showed as available for download and install. So, I tried to do the download and install again. Since then I would have made 3 full attempts but every time it goes through the whole process of downloading and installing but at the end I get the error message that the Update Failed.

My PC is running very slow. Apps are not opening for long time (Not Responding) and really frustrating.

Is anyone facing the same problem? How to overcome this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Reported
    Anonymous
    2025-07-20T19:45:24+00:00

    I finally contacted a service tech .. yes, a real human, and the solution was a reinstall of windows 11. Took about 1.5 hrs...

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-07-19T11:43:37+00:00

    not yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-07-18T20:28:26+00:00

    Hi Russ,

    I hope you have a great day ahead,

    I would recommend the solutions as below according to your provided error code:

    Solution 1: Change the service status from manually to automatic:

    1. Open the search bar type “services.msc”, and right click "Run as Administrator".
    2. In the Services window, double-click Background Intelligent service from the list.
    3. From the Startup type field, select Automatic from its drop-down menu.
    4. Go to the “Service status” and click on Start.
    5. Then, click Apply and OK to save the changes.
    6. Next, do the same operations with Windows update and Cryptographic Services.
    7. Once done, restart your PC and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.

    Solution 2: Reset the Windows Update component by CMD and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

    1.Search for "Command Prompt" in the Start menu, right-click it, and select "Run as administrator"

    2.Type and enter each cmd separately:

    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop cryptSvc
    • net stop bits
    • net stop msiserver
    • Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    • net start wuauserv
    • net start cryptSvc
    • net start bits
    • net start msiserver

    3.Once done, restart your PC and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.

    Solution 3: Using DISM command to fix corrupted files:

    1.Search for "Powershell" in the Start menu, right-click it, and select "Run as administrator"

    2.Type and enter each cmd separately and waiting for each command complete 100% or failed with error code:

    sfc/scannow

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth


    If the above cmd is failed with error code:

    Finding the machine has been successfully updated as a source to repair corruptions file.

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:[DRIVE]:\sources\sxs /limitaccess


    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /startcomponentcleanup

    3.Once done, restart your PC and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.

    Solution 4: Manually Download and Install the Update:

    1. I would recommend to consider downloading the update package manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

    Please note that you should download the correct version matching your system architecture.

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5062553

    2.Double click the downloaded package and check if you fixed the 0x800f0991 update error successfully.

    If my response was helpful and successfully addressed your issue, I would sincerely appreciate it if you could take a moment to upvote it. Thank you for your time and consideration.

    Kind Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-07-18T19:36:16+00:00

    I followed the instructions to go into the root directory and typed everything that was outlined. Still nothing. It gets to 6 - 8% downloaded and then stops. I have been trying to install it straight from the Microsoft site. My Windows Update Standalone Installer just sits and runs the green line across the screen saying "Copying packages to the Windows Update cache..." but never finishes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-07-18T13:38:52+00:00

    I have a similar problem: 2025-07 Cumulative Update for Microsoft server operating system version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5062553) Install error - 0x800f0991

    Non of the solutions above help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments