OneDrive 'not enough cloud storage' despite paying for 2TB and have used 1% of it!!

Anonymous
2025-05-21T18:17:35+00:00

Hi all,

I recently changed my backup settings to something that I thought would work much simpler but OneDrive is not having any of it. This is my setup:

I have the usual Documents, Pictures and Video located in a OneDrive folder on second M2 drive in my PC.

I have pointed the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos to this location. So F:\OneDrive\Pictures for example.

When I go into OneDrive settings and choose 'Manage Backup', it shows all the usual folders, scans for a few seconds, and everything is ticked, but everything showing 0kb. There is around 1TB of data in all the folders, mainly in the Pictures.

'Looking for changes', or 'waiting to upload' is seen one OneDrive, even often 0% of 1TB uploaded but always does it then tell me I don't have enough cloud storage, despite me paying for 2TB! It says on my MS account I am using 1% of the 2TB.

I have even gone to the lengths of completely resetting my PC, reinstalling Windows 11 etc this evening only to encounter the same issue.

Has anyone got any tips? Not sure where to go from here!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T21:19:13+00:00

    As I mentioned MS advised me I didn’t have enough free space on my F drive so I bought a new 4tb SSD that is now my primary drive and therefore OneDrive is now on C:

    What is the location of your OneDrive folder? Right-click it and go to Properties.

    It should appear with a blue cloud icon. Don't you want it on your F drive? So why did you go to your C drive if your F drive has a lot of storage?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T21:20:24+00:00

    What is going on here? I see OneDrive on two different drives. You cannot have OneDrive on two different drives at the same time.

    I believe your C drive is full and you are linked to the OneDrive folder there.

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T21:30:21+00:00

    If your F drive is the drive that you want OneDrive to sync to, then you need to move the OneDrive folder there.

    You must do it this way: Change the location of your OneDrive folder

    Did you move the Windows Standard Folders to your F drive? When you turn on the folder sync at Manage Backup, OneDrive will try to move those folders to the OneDrive syncing folder, which I think is still on your C drive.

    Manage Backup will automatically move the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders to the OneDrive folder, wherever it is located. There is no need to move those folders manually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T21:42:53+00:00

    I have kept this thread updated with all the changes along the way. OneDrive isn't installed on two drives; it was installed on the F:, and now it's installed on C after I purchased a new hard drive!

    Again, I have had OneDrive installed on a secondary drive for years, I know the setup, I am not a novice.

    To reiterate what I have said, MS advised me that the F drive didn't have enough space free, so I bought a new 4TB drive. I installed Windows and OneDrive on there. The same issues occur with out-of-storage errors.

    If your F drive is the drive that you want OneDrive to sync to, then you need to move the OneDrive folder there.

    You must do it this way: Change the location of your OneDrive folder

    Did you move the Windows Standard Folders to your F drive?

    When you turn on the folder sync at Manage Backup, OneDrive will try to move those folders back to the OneDrive syncing folder on the C drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T22:07:37+00:00

    OK, so your OneDrive syncing folder is on the 4TB C drive. Is that right? What is the size of your OneDrive folder on the 4TB C drive? Go to the properties and check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments