OneDrive 'not enough cloud storage' despite paying for 2TB and have used 1% of it!!

Anonymous
2025-05-21T18:17:35+00:00

Hi all,

I recently changed my backup settings to something that I thought would work much simpler but OneDrive is not having any of it. This is my setup:

I have the usual Documents, Pictures and Video located in a OneDrive folder on second M2 drive in my PC.

I have pointed the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos to this location. So F:\OneDrive\Pictures for example.

When I go into OneDrive settings and choose 'Manage Backup', it shows all the usual folders, scans for a few seconds, and everything is ticked, but everything showing 0kb. There is around 1TB of data in all the folders, mainly in the Pictures.

'Looking for changes', or 'waiting to upload' is seen one OneDrive, even often 0% of 1TB uploaded but always does it then tell me I don't have enough cloud storage, despite me paying for 2TB! It says on my MS account I am using 1% of the 2TB.

I have even gone to the lengths of completely resetting my PC, reinstalling Windows 11 etc this evening only to encounter the same issue.

Has anyone got any tips? Not sure where to go from here!

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T20:05:29+00:00

    No, all personal, pay for Microsoft 365 Family and have done for about 6 years. C:\Users\username\OneDrive is the problematic account, which just decided to break last week.

    Do you have a Microsoft 365 Business account? If so, I'm wondering if it might somehow cause an issue with syncing your personal OneDrive to your computer.

    Is your personal OneDrive folder, located at C>Users>username>OneDrive, syncing without issues?

    My personal OneDrive works just fine, but I can't sync my folders to my computer because I'm syncing my folders to my Work account.

    My personal OneDrive shows this at Manage Backup:

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T20:02:30+00:00

    Even if you sign into Windows with your Personal account, you may need to remove your Work or School account from your computer if Microsoft thinks you are using a Work or School device. I'm not sure, but doing this may allow you to toggle ON your folders at Manage Backup.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvjlfiZPVnE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T19:45:55+00:00

    Do you have a Microsoft 365 Business account? If so, I'm wondering if it might somehow cause an issue with syncing your personal OneDrive to your computer.

    Is your personal OneDrive folder, located at C>Users>username>OneDrive, syncing without issues?

    My personal OneDrive works just fine, but I can't sync my folders to my computer because I'm syncing my folders to my Work account.

    My personal OneDrive shows this at Manage Backup:

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-27T19:20:08+00:00

    2TB of cloud storage on personal account on a personal computer. My work stuff is completely separate on another machine.

    Do you have 2TB of cloud storage on your Personal account? Do you also have a Work or School account syncing to your computer?

    If your computer is considered a Work or School device, you will encounter these errors when connecting your Personal OneDrive to your computer if you are syncing the Windows Standard folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures) to your work or school account. You cannot sync those folders to both Work/School and Personal OneDrive accounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2025-05-27T18:59:30+00:00

    Do you have 2TB of cloud storage on your Personal account? Do you also have a Work or School account syncing to your computer?

    If your computer is considered a Work or School device, you will encounter these errors when connecting your Personal OneDrive to your computer if you are syncing the Windows Standard Folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos) to your work or school account. You cannot sync the Windows Standard Folders to both Work/School and Personal OneDrive accounts at the same time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments