MicroSoft 365 Home is increasing by 30% in 2025?

Anonymous
2025-01-19T17:31:59+00:00

Aside from financial greediness, what justification does MicroSoft have for raising my [Home] M365 annual subscription fee by 30% in 2025? I can stomach a 10% increase but 30% is uncalled for. Are you punishing your recurring subscribers in order to line your pockets even more?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T01:39:56+00:00

    Hi BKSlone,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

     
    As you have learned in another thread. The reason for the subscription price increase is that the product team has added Copilot to all Office applications starting from January 16, 2025. As a cost for unlimited use of AI, Microsoft has raised the subscription price.

    Image

    However, if you do not need this feature, you can downgrade your subscription to Microsoft 365 Classic subcription, which will reduce the subscription price by $30. Correspondingly, your monthly quota for using Copilot to assist in creating documents will be limited. For more information about the Microsoft 365 Classic subscription and how to cancel your subscription for a refund, please refer to: Switching to Microsoft 365 Personal and Family Classic Plans - Microsoft Support

     

    I hope my explanation helps you understand the reason for your subscription price increase. Although the decision to raise prices was not made by me, I completely understand how you feel. Copilot can indeed be disabled, but this falls outside the scope of the discussion on the subscription price increase thread. I will address your other thread about disabling Copilot later.

     

    If you have any further questions or want to share more context about the subscription price increase, please let me know in your reply!

     

    Best Regards,

    Thomas C - MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist 

    hello,

    how do i get the refund? You write "[...] and how to cancel your subscription for a refund, please refer to: [...]"

    my subscription renewed just now (march 13 at 1:37 a.m. acc. to the email from Paypal), and 1 hour later (at 2:31 a.m.) all I can do is downgrade to the classic plan following the steps in the links you posted, but no refund in sight. the website only says:

    You’re switching to Microsoft 365 Personal Classic. There is no charge today. Your subscription will switch on 3/13/2026 and we’ll charge 69,00 € including estimated VAT every year.

    I want my money back! I have not agreed to a higher subscription tier, and I had already deactivated any and all co-pilot nonsense in all of the office applications - as far as they had integrated buttons for that - months ago.

    so why should I pay for something I don't need and I'm not even allowed to use acc. to the data safety agreements signed for most of my clients?

    how to get a refund?

    thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T22:50:04+00:00

    My increase in Canada is from $75 CDN to $115 CDN; that is a 53% increase.

    Greedy f'rs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-29T13:01:15+00:00

    I believe we can 'downgrade' the yearly subscription by choosing the subscription without AI. There is a way to get to those options explained in this forum.

    Publisher and Skype removal is new to me...I don't use either. The way I understand it is we can choose MS 365 without AI and keep it at the same $99.95 a year. AI is the $30 (30%) increase. However, I will refer to a previous reply of mine: you are able to call MS billing and request you get another year of exactly what you have now, as long as the call is made 48 hours prior to the date of subscription renewal. This offer is good for only a year. After that year, if you keep everything you will have to endure the current increase ($30). Make sense? Gives us at least another year to negotiate (hassle) MS into keeping what we have at the price we've been paying. I don't mind letting MS know how I feel on a regular basis! ;-) I have used AI a few times since it was added it and like it but I can live without it. Losing it makes no difference to me. Hope this info helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-19T20:51:05+00:00

    Aside from financial greediness, what justification does MicroSoft have for raising my [Home] M365 annual subscription fee by 30% in 2025? I can stomach a 10% increase but 30% is uncalled for. Are you punishing your recurring subscribers in order to line your pockets even more?

    How is it possible that the classic version costs more? Microsoft, please allow your customers to downgrade to the classic package that WITHOUT COPILOT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T01:56:10+00:00

    When I look at what COPILOT offers - it is ALL ABOUT increasing productivity AT WORK!!

    Summarizing meetings, etc, etc.

    I have a FAMILY license so myself and my kids can have Word, Excel, Powerpoint and OneDrive.

    We DON'T WANT OR NEED COPILOT FOR FAMILY

    It's a WORK tool - not a FAMILY tool!!!!!!!

    Huge price rise claiming to pay for Copilot when we don't want it is complete extortion!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments