How can I buy Office 365 without Copilot

Anonymous
2025-01-21T00:25:30+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to buy a personal 365 subscription for my mother.

Currently, she is on my family plan, but I am cancelling that because I'm getting a subscription through my university instead. I saw when turning off autorenewel on my current plan that it was possible to get a subscription without copilot. My mum does not want and will never use any copilot features, so I wanted to get her that plan. However, when trying to create a new subscription for my mum on her account, this option was not available.

Is it possible to buy a personal 365 plan without copilot? Or is that option only available when you're changing a pre-existing plan?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T00:59:05+00:00

    I also have Office 365 and don't want the Copilot.

    My subscription ends in September, so in the meantime, I'm trying out Libre Office (which I think was formerly Open Office). It's a simple, free download, and is very similar to MS Word and Excel. I'm sure that there are probably some functions that MS has that Libre doesn't, but I'm fine with what I've seen so far.

    I can open my existing MS Word or Excel documents, and then I can save them as an Open Office document or spreadsheet.

    So my plan is to finish my Office 365 subscription and then let it lapse.

    I've started storing my One Drive files on an external drive, and I am looking for a cloud alternative to One Drive that isn't too pricey.

    It's a shame because I was happy with my subscription as it was. The price was reasonable, too. But they are forcing Copilot on subscribers and increasing the price.

    Yes, I've read that people do work-arounds -- cancel the old subscription, get a new one, then somehow downgrade it to the classic subscription. But I'd still have to move my One Drive files anyway.

    I am open to changing my mind -- if MS continues the classic subscription at the same (or comparable) rate without Copilot, then I think it's worth it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-08T15:44:08+00:00

    I agree, it was totally wrong for Microsoft to cleverly add copilot into my existing subscription for Word 365! It may be a nice tool but it should not have been forced on those of us who for over 12 years I have used MS Word and really do not want to change my word processing software. Also to do that without notification seems to be a breach of contract if not integrity! So, I too will soon cancel my MS Word 365 subscription as forced by MS, as soon I find an equivalent replacement! How can a retired senior take the hit of a 45-50 in priced increase for MS Word? Shame on you folks at MS! By the way, now I understand why I have for over 2 hours tried to contact a real person to clarify by billing, because MS did not want people like me to find this discrepency.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-06T17:48:41+00:00

    Thank you, had found that previously and tried to downgrade to Classic but with no luck, ended up finding Basic so went for that. Only when I went to use Word did I realise that wasn't an option.

    Right now, have downloaded LibreOffice and while a bit inconvenient, I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-06T13:13:59+00:00

    go back to them via the chat and explain situation and that they made this so difficult and ask to reinstate you via classic plan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-06T13:12:37+00:00

    Top tips - don't cancel your subscription, but go to MS chat and request downgrade to classic. Apparently not available to new users.

    Copy and past the link posted above (and below) about how you are allowed to do this if not offered.

    feedback that more and more people want this option

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments