How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-22T13:55:23+00:00

    Lke others I have no need for the AI features and have cancelled my subscription and downgraded to classic personal.

    Why do I have to wait a year for automatic renewal to complete the downgrade?

    Is there no way I can obtain a partial refund as i have only just gone through the automatic renewal process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-22T14:15:54+00:00

    Hi, if you subscribed to the new 365 AI before you downgraded it is unlikely (?) that you will get any refund.

    Unfortunately, people from all over have been caught up in this and it does come down to being on the ball a bit.

    My advice is to keep an eye out for more info on here and indeed do some more digging yourself.

    I don't know what you subscription is, monthly 3 monthly or 6 or 12 months. Just act accordingly to beat your end of term.

    Best of luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-03T03:52:06+00:00

    Thanks Simon for the update. I'm having the same challenge as you but a few months behind. Suggestions for how you would have done it differently?

    If I click cancel now (my annual subscription is due to expire in May 20025) I get the following message;

    "We can’t cancel your subscription. You have already paid for your Microsoft 365 Family subscription. It will expire automatically on 5/27/2025."

    I see no otheroption to change plans even following instructions here or on the microsoft support site.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-03T06:42:49+00:00

    Hello Whakster,

    As your cancellation error message says your subscription will expire automatically, you must have turned off automatic billing, as I did. So this is what I think I should have done before my subscription expired and what will hopefully work for you:

    Turn automatic billing back on. Now you should be able to cancel the subscription a select a ‘classic’ subscription.

    Please let us know if that works.

    Simon

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments