How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-25T13:56:51+00:00

    This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

    "Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

    Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

    1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
    2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
    3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

    Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

    From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

    For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

    THANK YOU!!!

    copilot appeared in everything on my Mac and because I don't have Windows, I don't see ANY of the same options to disable the AI ****.

    The fact that you have to select "cancel subscription" instead of switch plan is heinous. Good lord. The only reason I'm keeping the subscription around at all is for my parents who I share it with and so I don't get ads in my email account; I've already replaced outlook with thunderbird and office with libreoffice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T12:40:08+00:00

    I just received an email indicating my subscription price has been increased by 45% That is crazy ... I have search for how to contact Microsoft 365 regarding this matter. Could someone from Microsoft please contact me via email. I realize prices increase ... but 45% ???????? Unbelievable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-17T21:58:46+00:00

    I just received an email indicating my subscription price has been increased by 45% That is crazy ... I have search for how to contact Microsoft 365 regarding this matter. Could someone from Microsoft please contact me via email. I realize prices increase ... but 45% ???????? Unbelievable.

    If you look through the posts in this threads, you will see two different fixes that have worked for others. And it sounds like you are having basically the same problem as the rest of us. You probably won't need to deal with a Microsoft support person.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T02:37:35+00:00

    Thank you waynesmith5, your instructions worked for me. They don’t make it easy, do they?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments