How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T19:51:13+00:00

    Can't even see my subscription

    Try this.

    Steps to manage Microsoft 365 subscription

    These instructions are a for a web browser on a PC. It might look slightly different on a mobile device.

    Go to the Microsoft home page http://www.microsoft.com/ms.htm.

    Log in if you have not already done so.

    On the main menu near the top of the page, click 'Microsoft 365'. The Microsoft 365 home page should be shown.

    Click on your account name or icon at top right of the page. A drop-down menu should be shown.

    On the drop-down menu, click 'My Microsoft account'. After a few seconds, your Account page should be shown.

    You should see your subscription under the Subscriptions header near the top of the page.

    For what to do next, see my post dated 15 January headed Steps to disable auto payment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T21:01:12+00:00

    I have the Family plan but with a 30% discount through Microsoft's workplace scheme (so NZD125 will go up to NZD160 on renewal). Interestingly if I follow Consumer's cancel instructions or alternatively select "Turn off recurring billing" I do get the option to switch to Microsoft Family Classic, but Microsoft don't give the workplace discount on "classic" so cost is NZD179 - more than the Family (with AI).

    Same here in Switzerland, massive change in pricing - just for including the literally useless copilot. Personally, I also have a workplace discount on our family subscription, but hey what a surprise: no workplace discount anymore if you try to (Microsoft, sorry - what a terrible user expierence for this process!), i really mean, try to change it to a family classic subscription. Conclusion: accept a yearly price bump of over CHF 20.-? Interesting shareholder strategy nowadays I must say. I will wait until summer with a renewal - IBM tried the same with their business core products (including AI and charge more) and they got sued...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T00:08:30+00:00

    Thanks. Wording on my side was cancel subscription. I did not see the words "stop recurring billing" or similar. My subscription ends in May so my "benefits" will last til then. After doing this, I know see the "turn on recurring billing" option. I do not yet see the option to change to "classic".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T03:29:42+00:00

    Wording on my side was cancel subscription. I did not see the words "stop recurring billing" or similar. My subscription ends in May so my "benefits" will last til then. After doing this, I know see the "turn on recurring billing" option. I do not yet see the option to change to "classic".

    That is concerning. According to the info given to Wayne, recurring billing is what is stopping users from seeing the 'classic' option, yet you don't have recurring billing. Well, either way, we will all see whether we get the 'classic' option when payment is next due.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments